Bryce Canyon at Dusk

argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited November 19, 2007 in Landscapes
Taken recently with a 5D and 17-40L. Comments/critiques welcome, and thanks for looking.

220780598-L.jpg
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

Comments

• cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Very nice. I would lighten up the right portion of the frame a bit though.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Beautiful sky to go with the hoodoos! Almost looks a touch oversaturated in the blues, but still very nice.
    Chris
  • argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    ChrisJ, cwphotos: thanks guys for taking the time to look/critique. Actually, the sky was very blue that day, just before a storm blew in. All I really did in PP was play with the contrast a bit. It was taken at dusk, which would account for the darker tone on the right. I'll see if I can adjust the darker portion a bit, as long as it doesn't affect the rest of the image too much.

Thanks again for critiquing...77 looks and only 2 comments...I've noticed this trend on a quite a few of the threads...lots of looks but very few folks bother to provide any C&C. Not sure if any future posts are even worth the time and effort. headscratch.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Hey argyle, hang in there! In a forum of this size it's bound to happen to all of us every now and then, but please don't get discouraged. You take some great shots regardless of whether or not people have time to comment that day, plus guest views are tallied even though they can't post replies. I've never been to Bryce but have seen lots of shots -- yours has some great, cool lighting that contrasts the warmth of the rocks very nicely. thumb.gif

Great contrast in the clouds, too! Was a storm blowing in from the right?
  • CapturedByGraceCapturedByGrace Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    I agree
    argyle wrote:
    ChrisJ, cwphotos: ...77 looks and only 2 comments...I've noticed this trend on a quite a few of the threads...lots of looks but very few folks bother to provide any C&C. Not sure if any future posts are even worth the time and effort. headscratch.gif

You aren't the only one who's noticed this. It seems once your images are posted, the older they become, the more difficult is is for them to be seen later. I'm wondering why there isn't an option in the member profile section to view all their images they've posted, instead of having to go through each and every post (because not all posts have images). I belong to another forum that offers many different ways to view another member's images. Maybe I'm missing something here?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    You aren't the only one who's noticed this. It seems once your images are posted, the older they become, the more difficult is is for them to be seen later. I'm wondering why there isn't an option in the member profile section to view all their images they've posted, instead of having to go through each and every post (because not all posts have images). I belong to another forum that offers many different ways to view another member's images. Maybe I'm missing something here?
    This is pretty interesting. How often do you find yourself using that option, as opposed to viewing "All threads started" by a particular member? I understand that most (though not all) initial posts in new threads here contain the members' photos and most people chose to start new threads with photo updates than just appending them to an existing one as a comment. ear.gif
    edited November 18, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Hey argyle, hang in there! In a forum of this size it's bound to happen to all of us every now and then, but please don't get discouraged. You take some great shots regardless of whether or not people have time to comment that day, plus guest views are tallied even though they can't post replies. I've never been to Bryce but have seen lots of shots -- yours has some great, cool lighting that contrasts the warmth of the rocks very nicely. thumb.gif

Great contrast in the clouds, too! Was a storm blowing in from the right?

Hadn't thought about the guest views...thanks for pointing that out.

Back to Bryce...yes, a storm was blowing in from the right. We had just driven back to the rim from the 9000' elevation where we had some snow and sleet...got back just in time for nice dusk shots before the sky went almost completely black. Got lucky, I guess.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    A little C&C
    Nice colors, exposure. What the shot doesn't do is hold the viewer's attention in regards to composition. The scene falls off to the left permitting the eye to follow. Using an anchor in the foreground will help bring the eye back to view again and again. As this is, the scene is simply that, even if the sky and subject matter are interesting with colors and contrast. Just my 2 cents mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • CapturedByGraceCapturedByGrace Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    This is pretty interesting. How often do you find yourself using that option, as opposed to viewing "All threads started" by a particular member? I understand that most (though not all) initial posts in new threads here contain the members' photos and most people chose to start new threads with photo updates than just appending them to an existing one as a comment. ear.gif

You're not understanding what I'm saying. What I'm saying is, there should be an option to go into a member's profile and view a folder that contains ALL images that a member has posted since the day they 1st became a member. Images only. Not posts, text or anything else....Just the image and the person's comments they've posted with the image. This would eliminate the need to browse through pages and pages of previous posts just to view their past images.
    edited November 19, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    Nice colors, exposure. What the shot doesn't do is hold the viewer's attention in regards to composition. The scene falls off to the left permitting the eye to follow. Using an anchor in the foreground will help bring the eye back to view again and again. As this is, the scene is simply that, even if the sky and subject matter are interesting with colors and contrast. Just my 2 cents mwink.gif

I agree about the lack of a foreground element on the left...sometimes, there just isn't one available. This was staken right at the edge of the canyon...with the exception of the outcropping on the right, the only thing on the left was a drop off. Thanks for looking and commenting.