Options

Scotland: In the Summer

Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited November 30, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
Alright, if by chance I get foul luck and not get into graduate school this year ... I will drench my sorrows into a trip to Scotland SIZE=1]or back to Ireland ... can't decide![/SIZE this July/August!

So I am starting the research process as I did for my trip to Ireland. Are there things I should know, like cultural cues [as in what I should NOT do or say there], things I should look forward to seeing, do they take Euros or english pounds, etc.
Food & Culture.
www.tednghiem.com

Comments

• Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    English pounds are fine.. not euros though. Culture is very much as it is in the rest of the UK, and Eire. The more remote areas can be a bit parochial.. religious adherance to certain issues (like not working on a Sunday) is still a big thing in areas like the northern islands of the Hebrideas and West Coast. rolleyes1.gif

There are many 'settlers' from England and abroad in these remote areas though, and generally I find the Highlands more friendly than the cities.

Oh, don't get involved in discussions about the 'old firm' in Glasgow.. :D

Things to see.. well, the mountains.. sea.. villages.. there are a few places i could recommend mwink.gif
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    I was in the opposite scenario - the graduate (doctoral, actually) school I was applying to was in Scotland, so I got to take a trip and count it as "business!" clap.gif

Of all the places I've ever traveled overseas - Scottish people were the friendliest and most accomidating of them all. Almost everyone seemed to be helpful and understanding of my "American-ness." People generally liked to talk and answer questions, and all of the train and bus station employees I met were really helpful.

A few things of note - Glasgow (where most planes fly in and its the train hub) isn't a city you want to spend too much time in. You can do everything you want to do there in a day (IMHO). There's much more beauty on each coast and to the north.

If you like scotch, take a distillery tour. Edinburgh is a beautiful city that's deserving of a couple of days. Taking a train from Glasgow out to the west coast (Isle of Bute) is a great use of a day (and you can do the whole trip in a day). Isle of Skye might be the most beautiful place on earth.

My wife really wants to go (she didn't make the first trip with me) and I sure wouldn't mind going back!
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    Oh man! I should check out grad programs in Ireland and Scotland then!

haha!

Ok, I will keep these in mind. but is the summer a good time to visit? I can't really go during the school year, since I work at a University. Also, I used, though not extensively, Lonely Planet's travel book for Ireland, but is the one for Scotland good?

Also, is there any good Scottish folk songs, or more contemporary music, I should keep my ears out for? One of the reasons why I went to Ireland was because of the music and well ... U2. haha!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Also, is there any good Scottish folk songs, or more contemporary music, I should keep my ears out for? One of the reasons why I went to Ireland was because of the music and well ... U2. haha!

In my experience, the receipe for good music is as follows.

1) During the daytime, find a great local pub with live music
    2) Enjoy your day doing touristy things
    3) Have dinner
    4) Make your way to the pub ~8-9pm.
    5) Buy a pint, sit back, listen and enjoy
    Repeat step 5 multiple times. thumb.gif
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Hyperbaric wrote:
    English pounds are fine.. not euros though. Culture is very much as it is in the rest of the UK, and Eire. The more remote areas can be a bit parochial.. religious adherance to certain issues (like not working on a Sunday) is still a big thing in areas like the northern islands of the Hebrideas and West Coast. rolleyes1.gif

There are many 'settlers' from England and abroad in these remote areas though, and generally I find the Highlands more friendly than the cities.

Oh, don't get involved in discussions about the 'old firm' in Glasgow.. :D

Things to see.. well, the mountains.. sea.. villages.. there are a few places i could recommend mwink.gif

Your website is enough to lure anyone but you didn't mention the MIDGESrolleyes1.gif

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    Midges?? What's that?

At this moment, from my experience in Ireland, I won't be spending all that much time in the cities anyway. thumb.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    Midges?? What's that?

At this moment, from my experience in Ireland, I won't be spending all that much time in the cities anyway. thumb.gif
    Well you tend NOT to find them in the cities anyway - don't underestimate the misery these bugs can cause :((
    http://www.toadholidays.co.uk/html/midges.html
    http://www.incallander.co.uk/midges.htm
    http://www.lochnesscottages.co.uk/midges-ticks.htm

Buy your insect repellant in Scotland, it will be best suited to the job :)

Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Your website is enough to lure anyone but you didn't mention the MIDGESrolleyes1.gif

Caroline

mwink.gif Don't want to put the guy off...

I only find them too much when they start crawling over my eyes. :puke1

I think the American versions are 'see-me-nots' ne_nau.gif A good breeze or a blow-torch usually helps.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    Hyperbaric wrote:
    mwink.gif Don't want to put the guy off...

I only find them too much when they start crawling over my eyes. :puke1

I think the American versions are 'see-me-nots' ne_nau.gif A good breeze or a blow-torch usually helps.

And when all else fails, I gather headnets are considered quite stylish too rolleyes1.gif
    http://www.midgie.net/images/midge/headnetf.jpg

Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    ... ouch! eek7.gif

Well we will see what happens! wings.gif

I just noticed the quick link up top that there will be a photo workshop in Scotland in May. $4500 is really out of my ball park. I really want to go. But I think it would be cheaper if I went solo.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2007
    ok.

I need to think about finances.

I understand that the pound, at this moment, is roughly $2 per pound. That isn't very palapable at all. So I want to know how expensive it is in Scotland. Ireland knocked my socks off with the price I had to pay for food and lodging, and i took the cheapest options, cheapest hostels not eating a lot [not that I could, being that I am a vegetarian.] I'd like to get a general idea, I still have some English pounds left over, but that is about 30 pounds worth. I think.

How harsh is Scotland economically? Would it be possible for a frugal traveler like myself? Also is Scotland a more vegetarian friendly country?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2007
    ok.

I need to think about finances.

I understand that the pound, at this moment, is roughly $2 per pound. That isn't very palapable at all. So I want to know how expensive it is in Scotland. Ireland knocked my socks off with the price I had to pay for food and lodging, and i took the cheapest options, cheapest hostels not eating a lot [not that I could, being that I am a vegetarian.] I'd like to get a general idea, I still have some English pounds left over, but that is about 30 pounds worth. I think.

How harsh is Scotland economically? Would it be possible for a frugal traveler like myself? Also is Scotland a more vegetarian friendly country?

The further you get from the cities in Scotland, the more expensive certain things tend to be.. petrol being a prime example.. due to the supply distance and lack of retail competition. However, it's a good deal cheaper than London.. and er.. Scandinavia :D

How far your money will get you depends on what accommodation / food / travel you are prepared to go for. Hotels can be expensive, but there's always youth hostels or tents.. if the weather is OK, I would highly recommend it. I have a regular jaunt to a lovely 'bothie' in the Highlands.. cost = $0, fun = priceless.

60227214-S.jpg

Food-wise, there are an increasing number of veggie friendly places around, but food is generally more expensive than in the US.

For travel, train prices can vary wildly.. buses are a cheap alternative.. hitch-hiking is perfectly do-able and some remote areas even have 'post buses' - post office vans that double as public transport. :D
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2007
    Buses were more affordable in Ireland, so I reckon it might be the same in Scotland. So I will probably always be traveling by bus. And staying at youth hostels will be my only living accomodation.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    Be careful since a lot of pubs close at 11 pm and stop serving food as early as 8 pm. Don't leave it too long to eat.

My husband and I carried an emergency food stash of canned salmon, crackers, fruit etc. and we had to duck into it one night that we left dinner too late.

And don't count Glasgow out if you like architecture. There are some lovely buildings there. I also did a ghost walk at night that was entertaining.

If you go to Edinburgh, try to get a tour in the underground streets...I think it is Mary King Close in particular. It was closed the last time I was there.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2007
    Are there not any regular stores? I can go by with bread, cheese, beans, fruit, and water.

Glasgow will probably be my first stop and I plan to be there for at least three days before going to the coastal areas.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    My husband and I went to Scotland in 2001, right after 9/11. Ours was one of the first planes allowed to fly again. We landed in Edinburgh, spent 3 days recovering from jet lag and sight seeing. Then we took an 8 day self-led bike tour around Perthshire (http://www.scotcycle.co.uk/). After that, we bussed up to Inverness and spent 3 touristy days there.

That trip is my most favorite and memorable vacation of my entire life! The people were kind, friendly, warm and hospitable. I'm an actor and wanted to do some dialect study. Folks were very accomodating allowing me to record them. It's amazing how there are soooo many dialect variations in such a relatively small area. Going on a self-led bike tour also allowed us the freedom to just stop and chat with people, in addition to meeting and talking with more people at the bed and breakfasts in the evenings.

I LOVE Scotland! thumb.gif
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2007
    Are there not any regular stores? I can go by with bread, cheese, beans, fruit, and water.

Glasgow will probably be my first stop and I plan to be there for at least three days before going to the coastal areas.

Sure there are. In the more remote areas though, some will be closed on Sunday due to religious custom.

The facilities in Glasgow are the same as most big cities. Late licensed bars / food, 24-hr supermarkets, etc.

In many areas, pubs may just 'appear' to be closed at 11pm mwink.gif Nothing better than a good old fashioned lock-in.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    Sweet!

Which would be cheaper to travel around- bus, train, or car?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    Sweet!

Which would be cheaper to travel around- bus, train, or car?

In general, buses are by far the cheapest.. Car hire isn't cheap, but worthwhile if you plan to visit various remote places over several days (which you surely do :D ).
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    What are the rates for car hires? I probably have to get an international drivers license if I were to hire one, wouldn't I. headscratch.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    What are the rates for car hires? I probably have to get an international drivers license if I were to hire one, wouldn't I. headscratch.gif

I think the main hire companies are around £15 per day. Not sure if the IDL is absolutely required for US license holders, but it woudn't harm to have one.
  • Options
    MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    When we rented a car, we asked for the smallest possible (which was pretty darn small) to deal with the single track roads on Mull.
    Also remember to veer left when you come to another car head on.
    We only made that mistake once...very scary.
    Strangely enough tho, when we had a bigger car in Devon, we had a harder time with the single track roads in the moor. Not only were they narrow, but there was a lot of traffic and there were walls on either side of the road!

We also had to check ourselves every time we stopped to make sure we were on the correct side of the road.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    This site may help you
    http://www.scotland-info.co.uk/

[/URL]