Making tons of private galleries, or different passwords for photos under one gallery

AllizDogStudiosAllizDogStudios Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited November 20, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Let's say I take portraits of about 50 people one day during an event and I want the photos to be for sale on my smug site.

Is there any way for me to make a structure like:
Portraits - Event Name - Gallery that has all the photos in it
but then have an individual password for every photo in the gallery so that no one sees all the photos, but rather just their own?

Or would I have to make an individual gallery for every person within that event?

Comments

• AllizDogStudiosAllizDogStudios Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    Scratch that 50 and make it 450.

If I make individual, password protected galleries under one subcategory, is there a fast way to do it? This is going to be a real big pain if I have to do it this way.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007

If I make individual, password protected galleries under one subcategory, is there a fast way to do it? This is going to be a real big pain if I have to do it this way.
    You could try SmugBrowser. Create gallery, assign PW, slide photos to it, create another gallery, assign PW, slide photos to it, and so on.

Then have them all upload in one swoop.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • TexasFamilyTexasFamily Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    You could try SmugBrowser. Create gallery, assign PW, slide photos to it, create another gallery, assign PW, slide photos to it, and so on.

Then have them all upload in one swoop.
    My plug for Nik...

Star*Explorer...
    it will also upload your 450+ pics for you...and incase some internet providers drops your connection...it will remember where you left off!
    set passwd(s)...gallery options...etc...etc...etc...
    too much else to mention for my five lines.

See thread here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=4126

More here:
    http://www.starexplorer.com

Thanks Nik!

Edward
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007

Simply generating and distributing unique passwords to 450 people is probably more work than doing the upload even if you could uniquely identify and configure each of the 450 passwords. If I were you, I'd rethink your strategy. Are one person's photos really that private from the other people at the event?

I routinely do uploads for events with a sub-category named after the event and one gallery per person in the event and I give every gallery in the event the same password. This makes the creation of the galleries and the management and distribution of the password quite simple.

As recommended elsewhere in this thread, I use StarExplorer to both create the galleries and upload images to them. I can create all the galleries in only as long as it takes me to type all the names because StarExplorer lets me do a bulk gallery create with all the options set exactly the way I want them. I type all the names, set the options the way I want them and it goes and creates all the galleries. I can then drag/drop all the images into each gallery and then do one unattended upload for all. I routinely upload 500-10g00 images this way across many galleries.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AllizDogStudiosAllizDogStudios Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    I'm almost thinking that private galleries aren't really that important. These are "class pictures", the same type of photos you'd see in a yearbook. Nothing is going to be provocative or anything, and these kids see each other every Sunday anyway. So I'm starting to lean toward just making one password protected gallery and show all the images together and just let the parents find their kids' pictures from the whole list, and go that way.

Does this make sense or is there some reason that I'm not thinking of that would require each person's photo to be private?
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    I'm almost thinking that private galleries aren't really that important. These are "class pictures", the same type of photos you'd see in a yearbook. Nothing is going to be provocative or anything, and these kids see each other every Sunday anyway. So I'm starting to lean toward just making one password protected gallery and show all the images together and just let the parents find their kids' pictures from the whole list, and go that way.

Does this make sense or is there some reason that I'm not thinking of that would require each person's photo to be private?

I agree that you don't need to keep each person's pictures private from the other people at the event. One password for the event should work fine. That's what I do and I've never had a parental or child objection.

I don't know what your objective is, but if you are trying to sell pictures, then you are likely to sell more if you organize the pictures to make it easier for parents to see the pictures of their kids or the kids in the same part of the event as their's were in. Otherwise, it's a lot more work for them to find the pictures they might be interested in and not all will do that extra work, thus losing their potential business.

If you aren't selling, then it's just your own judgment on how much work you want to put in to optimize their viewing experience.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question