Arizona Tour

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited November 24, 2007 in Landscapes
Grimace, myself and 3 others went to AZ, spending money and shooting our brains out. Not much sleep and covered 1200 miles in 4 days. Since Grimace is posting his shots (go and see them) on the Journey thread, I thought to put my landscapes here.

Overlooking Lake Powell

221822227-XL.jpg

Monument Valley

221810321-XL.jpg

Another in golden light

222027922-XL.jpg

Cathedral Rock

221810306-XL.jpg

One from the "Wave"

222027918-XL.jpg

Antelope Canyon

221930582-XL.jpg

Had to have Horseshoe Bend

221810328-XL.jpg

Down the Highway

222017121-XL-1.jpg

Lake Powell

222036838-XL.jpg

Thanks for Looking :lust
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    clap.gifWow, great great stuff!
  • nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    your shot of cathedral rock is fantastic....went there on my honeymoon iloveyou.gif
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Nice series of images. Looks like you had a good, successful trip.

"Another in golden light" and "Down the Highway" brought back memories of last spring for me. I took photographs in those exact two locations on route between Moab/Arches and the Grand Canyon.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Very nice Swartzy!! clap.gif

How did you like Antelope Canyon?

Looks like a great trip!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Thanks peeps
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Very nice Swartzy!! clap.gif

How did you like Antelope Canyon?

Looks like a great trip!

I absolutely loved it! In fact...as awesome as Monument Valley was, I think I could spend two days in Antelope Canyon..we were in the upper...and didn't have time for the lower.....I want to go back real bad....and shoot it all day...especially during the summer with the light rays (lower). What a fabulous place. Thanks so much for the kind words. Many many more to PP...can't seem to get them done quickly enough...but finding some....OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Babies!!!!!! rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Nice work Swartzy!! Hard to pick a favorite out of the bunch!!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Wow lovely variety and gorgeous shots from a very unique part of the world. Looks like a great time and thanks for taking us along, too! :D

I wanted to visit Lake Powell last spring since it seems to be one of the biggest attractions of the area. Now I can say I've finally seen it. lol3.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    Bee-you-tee-full!!!! clap.gif
  • PwFPwF Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    Good compositions on all.
    The only thing I have a bit of a problem with is the color saturation,
    but I don't know if that is with your images, or my monitor showing them.
    I lived in the southwest half my life and know that the colors are a lot more
    saturated than what I see here.
    My only suggestion is to look at pro images of these areas and what the colors look like in their shots. I think that you'll see how much more
    rich their colors are. Whenever I question any of my own colors I always make changes to the saturation and/or levels and them compair the before and afters. Do that & you will really see how things can change and maybe improve.
    B SUM 1
  • armadillofz1armadillofz1 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2007
    Puddle Powell is looking a little lower than i remember it.
    edited November 19, 2007
    Yes...
    PwF wrote:
    Good compositions on all.
    The only thing I have a bit of a problem with is the color saturation,
    but I don't know if that is with your images, or my monitor showing them.
    I lived in the southwest half my life and know that the colors are a lot more
    saturated than what I see here.
    My only suggestion is to look at pro images of these areas and what the colors look like in their shots. I think that you'll see how much more
    rich their colors are. Whenever I question any of my own colors I always make changes to the saturation and/or levels and them compair the before and afters. Do that & you will really see how things can change and maybe improve.

I suppose since these scenes are very saturated (on purpose), the common public is so used to seeing them this way...guess that's what sells. I was after a different look but certainly can saturate away. The colors there are more dynamic as the crisp air and altitude help. The time of day of course, time of light, etc. do play a part. The overlook at Lake Powell was after sunset without the reds being seriously red as if the golden light was shining on the peaks.....wish it was. I did do a great deal of PP to bring out the variations as the camera version was a bit flat overall.

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's one processed a bit differently:

223461468-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    I suppose since these scenes are very saturated (on purpose), the common public is so used to seeing them this way...guess that's what sells. I was after a different look but certainly can saturate away. The colors there are more dynamic as the crisp air and altitude help. The time of day of course, time of light, etc. do play a part. The overlook at Lake Powell was after sunset without the reds being seriously red as if the golden light was shining on the peaks.....wish it was. I did do a great deal of PP to bring out the variations as the camera version was a bit flat overall.

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's one processed a bit differently:

You even got a cow skull sitting on the cracked mud! lol3.gif

The only thing missing is one of those wooden bang-up job grave crosses. thumb.gif
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Very nice shots. I love love love the blues and slight purples from within the canyon. The horseshoe bend picture is great as well. I never get bored seeing that place. thumb.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    Some very nice images and compositions, but I think a few of them could use a boost in either saturation, contrast, or both (Wave, Antelope, Horseshoe). As someone else has mentioned, the colors are usually a lot richer...especially at the Wave and upper Antelope. A few tweaks in saturation and contrast would make these pop off the page. Then again, the time of day does play a role. Looks like great trip, though.
    "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer
  • mANVILmANVIL Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    Wow...every one of these shots is fantastic. I've never been to Arizona but these pictures make me want to go.
    edited November 21, 2007
    Thanks
    argyle wrote:
    Some very nice images and compositions, but I think a few of them could use a boost in either saturation, contrast, or both (Wave, Antelope, Horseshoe). As someone else has mentioned, the colors are usually a lot richer...especially at the Wave and upper Antelope. A few tweaks in saturation and contrast would make these pop off the page. Then again, the time of day does play a role. Looks like great trip, though.

Yes, time of day/light did play a role but have reworked the images per suggestion....LAB color.

In any case, here are some others and thanks for the kind words and suggestions.

223952410-XL.jpg

222584598-XL-2.jpg

223712413-XL.jpg
    223638783-XL-1.jpg

223949896-XL.jpg

223951377-XL.jpg

223712417-XL.jpg

222764019-XL.jpg

Thanks again! iloveyou.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2007
    Nice work Swartzy!! Great color!! I really like the Catherdral Rock shot!!
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    What a fantastic place!. you have captured a great feeling about that place.

The first one would fit gr8 in HDR i think.
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    Ditto to PwF. The energizer bunny shot is overly green.

The great problem with shooting this is that everyone has done it. Me too. trying to find something different in these shots is what makes shooting here difficult. There are some very good books on how to shoot this area of the country. There is nothing wrong with getting your own copy of excellent postcard images of the place. I have my own collection of them too. :D

I've heard that Meunch has told Navajo guides that the location he is shooting from is 'his' location and it's not to be shared with other photographers. Don't know if that is true - comes from a good source - but it's hilarious anyway.

Shooting this area is a lot of work. You are on a limited time budget. The sun, clouds, wind (pouring dust down on your gear in the slot canyons), rain (flash floods close the Antelopes) reign havoc on your shooting. Some of the 'better' locations are harder to get to - thus the shots are more rare.

Some of my favorite shots are on the Dunes in Monument Valley at sunrise. Thise means staying nearby and getting up very early to meet your guide before sunrise.

I hope this is not your only time to go there. I can't wait to go back myself and shot what I fell when I'm there. It is a spectacular place.

Cheers,
    David