Final Questions about DSLR

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited November 22, 2007 in Cameras
bofore i smoke whole money on choclates i think i should get a DSLR.
So i called my friend
30D is discontinued and 40D is way out of range so only option is 400D.
That is for 45000(750$) Rs in pakistan i will be left with 250$.

I am thinking to get 50mm 1.8, and Extension tube and flash card for those 250$ :scratch

Want to get before 400D is discontinued

Or should i ask my elder bro to bring dslr from Norway is it cheaper ?
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 16, 2007
    Awais,

I think you would like that combination, considering what you have now and what I think you are capable of (great things).

Do consider getting an electronic flash if at all possible. The Sunpak 383 is a pretty nice autoflash with tilt and swivel actions and you can construct simple diffusors and reflectors to help control the light.

Good luck,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Awais,

I think you would like that combination, considering what you have now and what I think you are capable of (great things).

Do consider getting an electronic flash if at all possible. The Sunpak 383 is a pretty nice autoflash with tilt and swivel actions and you can construct simple diffusors and reflectors to help control the light.

Good luck,

:D Thanks Ziggy
    so should i get a flash instead of extension tube
    i saw extension tubes available in different sizes Kenko and canon which one to go for ?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Hi Awais,
    Welcome to the dSLR-club...can't wait to see what you do with it!

As far as extension tubes, definately buy the Kenko brand. I purchased them off ebay [FONT=arial,sans-serif](kea-photo was the seller) and received them very quickly. Great quality and they work great. The on[/FONT]ly problem is that your working distance with the 50mm will be very small. You'll need to be very close to your subject to get focus. They work better with my 70-210mm lens.

E
    edited November 16, 2007
    :D Thanks Ziggy
    so should i get a flash instead of extension tube
    i saw extension tubes available in different sizes Kenko and canon which one to go for ?

Awais,

If you are going to keep the DSC-H5 I suggest you use that, the Sony, for macro and close focus images. In that case the flash would be a more important addition than the extension tubes, especially for interior work.
    ziggy53
    edited November 16, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Awais,

If you are going to keep the DSC-H5 I suggest you use that, the Sony, for macro and close focus images. In that case the flash would be a more important addition than the extension tubes, especially for interior work.
    eek7.gif
    great
    so sunpak 383 is one to go for ? it is not expensive headscratch.gif

My Gallery
    edited November 16, 2007
    eek7.gif
    great
    so sunpak 383 is one to go for ? it is not expensive headscratch.gif

In the USA and from B&H:

Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set DG (12, 20 & 36mm Tubes) for Canon EOS
    $169.00

(Genuine Canon extension tubes are "very" expensive.)

Sunpak 383 Super Auto Shoe Mount Flash
    $79.95

ziggy53
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    So i called my friend

I am thinking to get 50mm 1.8, and Extension tube and flash card for those 250$ headscratch.gif

According to my latest check, B+H Photo still has the Canon 30D listed as available.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/6222/Digital_Cameras_SLR_Digital_Cameras.html

Also, it seems that camera gear is a bit more pricey in Europe than in the USA. At least I've heard this so many times from guys from Holland, Belgium, and Britain that I tend to believe them.

It makes sense; the largest camera market in the world is the USA. So because of the huge volume, their prices will be the lowest anywhere.

I am quite satisfied with my 30D, but the new 40D seems to have some features that might be worth the extra money.

Glenn
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • StyriaStyria Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 16, 2007
    Is that price you quoted for the 400D for the kit or body-only? If it's body-only, you could have more money left over for a lens or flash or other equipment.

Extension tubes give more magnification with shorter focal length lenses. Close-up lenses give more magnification with longer focal length lenses (they're screwed on to the front). I think 50mm is still on the extension tube side.
    edited November 17, 2007
    Thanks once again thumb.gif
    Lets see what i am left with after 400D and 50mm and a CF card (2 gb ?)
    then my priority will be a flash thumb.gif

Is Kit lens really too pathetic ?
    :D

My Gallery
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Awais-
    Definately 2 gigs.
    Kit lens is not as bad as people say. Stopped down to f/8, you can get some very nice landscapes with it.
    E
    edited November 17, 2007
    ... Is Kit lens really too pathetic ?

The kit lens is fairly soft at large apertures. You need about f5.6 at 18mm and f8-f11 at 55mm to get sharp images. That makes the lens pretty slow for many applications. Plus the "bokeh" qualities are not good. Lens construction is also a problem. A short drop to a hard surface can break the lens.
    ziggy53
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    So i called my friend

I am thinking to get 50mm 1.8, and Extension tube and flash card for those 250$ headscratch.gif

Cameras cost way too much in Norway and the NOK is very high in exchange rates now due to high oil prices etc. So that would be pretty expensive. A 400D body alone costs 882 USD right now here in Norway.
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • StyriaStyria Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2007
    Is Kit lens really too pathetic ?

The kit lens is not pathetic. However, its main value would probably be for people new to DSLRs, to learn how to shoot and especially to find out what focal lengths they like to shoot at and whether they need something longer or shorter. If you already know what you're doing, it's probably worthwhile to skip it altogether and spend the $100 you'll save getting the body only on something else you know you'll need.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    Awais-
    Definately 2 gigs.
    Kit lens is not as bad as people say. Stopped down to f/8, you can get some very nice landscapes with it.
    E
    I agree...for the low $ value i think its fine. I often still use mine.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    ...30D is discontinued...

So? ne_nau.gif That just means it's a better deal than ever before.

My 20D has been discontinued for a long time. That doesn't bother it at all & it's still taking pictures just as well as when it was the hot new thing in the lineup. Personally, I'd pick a discontinued 30D over a current 400D any day.

Use the quick model turnover in digital bodies to your advantage. deal.gif
    edited November 19, 2007
    So? ne_nau.gif That just means it's a better deal than ever before.

My 20D has been discontinued for a long time. That doesn't bother it at all & it's still taking pictures just as well as when it was the hot new thing in the lineup. Personally, I'd pick a discontinued 30D over a current 400D any day.

Use the quick model turnover in digital bodies to your advantage. deal.gif

It is no more available in Market everyone is selling 40D with kit lens that is about 1300$ rolleyes1.gif

Btw i can get 400D+ sigma 17-70 lens for around 1000$ that is my budget but i don't know how sigma lens is i have read and heard good things about it and images looks good headscratch.gif

My Gallery
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    It is no more available in Market everyone is selling 40D with kit lens that is about 1300$ rolleyes1.gif

Btw i can get 400D+ sigma 17-70 lens for around 1000$ that is my budget but i don't know how sigma lens is i have read and heard good things about it and images looks good headscratch.gif

Yep, that's a pretty good lens. Makes a good walk around lens. It does a pretty good macro too. I don't own one, but have seem plenty of samples.

No IS, but it's seems to be sharper and I think it focuses closer than Canon's 17-85. It's starts and finishes about 1 to 1/2 stop faster as well.

http://pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=270

Seems like a nice kit.

Gene
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    edited November 22, 2007
    :cryheadscratch.gifrolleyes1.gifhuhclap.gifclap:ivar
    Ordered 400D with 1.8 50mm will be here in 1 or 2 days :eat

Finally a dream will come true !

My Gallery
    edited November 22, 2007
    :cryheadscratch.gifrolleyes1.gifhuhclap.gifclap:ivar
    Ordered 400D with 1.8 50mm will be here in 1 or 2 days :eat

Finally a dream will come true !

Awais,

I am so happy for you, but I am happy for us because I know you will do great things with that camera and share with us. clap.gif
    ziggy53