Can I ask for some advice?

kelsowkelsow Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited November 21, 2007 in Cameras
Hey everyone. I thought I would de-lurk myself and ask a question.
Firstly, I am trying to get back into some serious photography. I used to do motersport photos using Nikon FE, FE2 and 5 lenses. It's all been sold many years ago so I'm looking to get started all over.
My main reason for a better camera is to take pix for upcoming trips via dualsport motorcycles (yes, I am a member of ADVRider) and just generally want to get back into something creative now that I have some time.
Here is my question...
I can afford 6-800 bux for either new/used Canon/Nikon but can't decide what I want. Lens choice is easy but body choice is proving to be difficult.
Used 20D, new XTi or new D40x, used D70 or many other bodies to choose from. I want to stay with these 2 brands, only because this is what I'm used too.
Any thing anyone can say to help me make up my mind will be appreciated.

Maybe soon I will add some images to this great website.

Thanks.

Kelsow

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 16, 2007
    You mention that you want something to use on motorcycle trips, but what type of images are you hoping to capture?
    What conditions?
    Lighting?

The more information you provide the better we can respond.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kelsowkelsow Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    The type of images I want to capture will be similar to this,
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269251
    "Angola, it's not like they said"

These pictures and many like them have inspired me to get off my a$$ and do some exploring. I also want to be able to do some motox/enduro events, street pix, landscape and even a bit of macro.
    I am not afraid to be out in all weather conditions as long as I take care of the gear. I don't see me getting any of my pictures printed, just posted on line for now.
    I'm not new to this, I'm just a little out of date. My background is 35mm, Hasselblad, Sinar and even a Graflex or 2. I was a lab tech for almost 20 years in both B+W and colour.

I have gone through 7 P+S cameras and my current trail bike camera is a Canon A710.

I hope this helps some.

Thanks
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 16, 2007
    I was really hoping that someone with a more similar current interest would chime in, but here is my take on it:

Motocross, supercross and enduro qualify for "sports", and high speed at that. I suspect that either a Nikon D200 (or D300 if you can wait a couple of weeks) or a Canon 30D/40D has the type of responsiveness to accomodate. Couple those with a 70-200mm, f2.8 from either camp or a 85mm f/1.4D IF AF Nikkor and/or 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF Nikkor, or a Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM, and I think you could be very happy.

Of course one of the pro cameras could make you happier, but might be a bit much for motocycle travel.

Scenics, both vista and landscape, can also be accommodated by either brand, and some very nice third party lenses exist which qualify at a better price point.

Macro is the same way, either brand will do and there are plenty of options.

If you are able to check out the cameras first hand, the location of controls and the user interface might feel more comfortable in one brand or another, but I honestly could get used to anything modern.

My father shoots Nikon and I shoot Canon and I haven't had any problems with using any of the typical features of either. (Every once in a while a particular feature will elude me and I have to look it up somewhere.)

P.S. I just re-read your original request and you did mention $600-$800. Most of what I just suggested is going to put you (considerably) above that, but those are still honest recommendations on what would be best.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 16, 2007
    Kelsow,

Welcome to dgrin, rider!!

Are you SURE you really want an interchangeable lens DSLR? In the environment your pictures depict, with lots of dust, dirt and sand? DSLRs and lenses can take up quite a bit of room, and their images really benefit by editing on a computer, none of which really fair well in your riding environment.

When I travel by motorcycle, and carry a DSLR and a laptop computer, I do not have a lot of room left for other gear, and I am always concerned about security. Riding dual sports off road, I also worry about the sustained shock and vibration for extended time periods.

This is not near as exotic as Africa, but is a little off the beaten path between Basalt and Leadville Colorado, and was captured with the Canon 10D I carried in my tank bag
    875295-L.jpg

This was captured with an aging Canon G5 P&S - the younger one is my older son
    43082672-L.jpg

When you carry a G9, you get shots like this - riders will understand this secret message in this sign.
    210542647-L.jpg

A G9 is good for great close ups also
    210545722-L.jpg

And shots while moving
    217448332-L.jpg

On my last trip - Indiana to Barber Motorsports in Birmingham Alabama via Maggie Valley North Carolina, I carried a 5D with a 24-105 IS L, and a Canon G9 P&S. Both were very useful, but I like the G9 enough that I have considered only taking it.

P&Ss all have much more image noise than a 5D or a 40D or a D3, since their sensor's are so much smaller, but with decent light this is not a significant problem in a print. A small flash for the G9 will add great flexibility in lighting, particularly with an off camera IR trigger like the ST-E2 that a G9 can utilize. The G9 is small enough to fit in the pocket of a riding jacket inside a fleece pouch.

You can see some of my images from my trip here - try and tell which are the 5D's, and which are the G9's. Check the exif data to get your answer.

None of the images in the thread on advrider about Angola really required a DSLR, and I suspect they were shot with a P&S.

Modern P&Ss can make very good images with 8-12 Mpxls. They will not focus and shoot as fast as a DSLR for sports or motorcross type images, but for people and locations P&S can do fine, and are easier to carry and protect on a motorcycle.

With a small tripod you can even do multiple shots to be combined as panoramas. Marc Muench has already posted panos he has composited with a G9 in the Landscape thread here on dgrin.

If you are convinced that a DSLR is the tool you need and you want Canon, then I rec a 40D and a 24-105 IS L as a very fast, relatively compact, package. I do not think you want to carry multiple lenses, but I could be mistaken about your needs. It will easily fit in a tank bag inside a cushioned camera pouch. It has better environmental sealing than a 20D or a 30D.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 17, 2007
    The link I posted are not my pictures, they are the type of pictures that I would like to take quality and subject wise. What my current pictures are missing now is "snap" or "punch" as we used to call it. The P+S that I have been using are missing the speed. Either shutter lag or shutter speed seems to be quite off sometimes. I think the main thing my photos are missing is crispness. The optics just aren't there.

This pic for instance, close but no cigar,
    img_0099.jpg
    img_0142.jpg
    img_0200.jpg

This has all the colour one cold want but it's missing something,
    img_0177.jpg

This image is ok but missing something,
    img_0151.jpg

I do a bit of ice racing and love to take pictures of it. Again, close but...
    100_0687.jpg

Better,
    100_0524.jpg

ok,
    100_0539.jpg

So you can see from my examples why I want something better. I know I don't want to take a good camera on my trail rides but I do want to take one on my upcoming trip to Newfoundland.

I also do a bit of close up "studio" work for my current employer. f22 would be something I could use instead of just f8.

So, any more insight is greatly appreciated.

Great pic pathfinder, I would love to ride those trails/roads sometime.
    edited November 17, 2007
    It sounds like you need a 40D and a 70-300 zoom, for images like this

[imgl]http://Pathfinder.smugmug.com/photos/211769870-M.jpg[/imgl]

[imgr]http://Pathfinder.smugmug.com/photos/211769140-M.jpg[/imgr]

It has the speed you need and will have fine grain and great color
    212212386-M.jpg

Regarding studio work, the G9 makes lovely close ups due to the increased depth of field from its smaller sensor, it doesn't need f22 to do that. It also can take advantage of the same line up of EOS speedlites as Canon's pro DSLRs. That is one of the G9's great, unsung features.

edited November 18, 2007
    I have been doing research all day and have decided to start searching for a Nikon D40X and a 18-200mm VR II Lens. Now I just need to find something that fits my budget. Used or demo or referb would be ok with me.

Does anyone have anything negative to say to sway me from this combo?

Thanks
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    kelsow wrote:
    The type of images I want to capture will be similar to this,
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269251
    "Angola, it's not like they said"

I didn't see anything that couldn't be captured with a decent P&S, which is what I think the shooter used. ne_nau.gif

As for action shots, yes, you'll be happier with a dSLR, though your $800 budget will make it difficult to buy speed, ie, fast lenses.
    Tim
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    kelsow wrote:
    I have been doing research all day and have decided to start searching for a Nikon D40X and a 18-200mm VR II Lens. Now I just need to find something that fits my budget. Used or demo or referb would be ok with me.

Does anyone have anything negative to say to sway me from this combo?

Thanks

I would get either the D40 or try to get a used D80 and skip the D40x. Unless you are going to be printing posters, the extra megapixels are not going to matter. Just remember if you go D40/40x route, you need AF-S lenses as the D40 does not have AF built into the camera.

The 18-200 is a great all around lens and it's one I use if i don't have a specific subject in mind or i want to travel light. You will need good to great light for capturing moving objects as VR does not help slow down action. It's a great lens for walking about. You can get good lanscapes and the Af is quick enough to get a bird that flies by at a moments notice. You will get more shots with the lens as it's always ready, but the images will not look as good as lenses made for a specific situation. It was my bread and butter for a few months until I got more specifc glass.

As far as buying used, keh.com is a reputable dealer and has a 14 day return period for their used gear.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    I didn't see anything that couldn't be captured with a decent P&S, which is what I think the shooter used. ne_nau.gif

I totally agree...i just read the entire thread...i couldnt stop.

This is great photography, it relies on whats in the photo & the story & not the technique. No way in hell would i attempt to take a DSLR into that...not a chance.

I think the point here is that these guys did one of lifes most amazing trips & just happened to have a a point & shoot & a great eye. Its that simple. You cant buy either of these few things...sorry you need to earn it.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    wave.gif Kelsow

My ADVcamera is a Canon S5 IS. The G9 that was mentioned is a great choice as well. Even your A710 IS should take some great shots.

Unlike you, I'm new to photography, so I've had to spend some quality time with the manual for the S5 and also on DGrin lurking and asking questions. I've been very surprised at the results - even with my minimal understanding, I can walk circles around the auto modes. Point being, unless you've tweaked every setting on the A710 a few times, and done some basic post processing, you might have the potential to get a lot more out of your current camera. It seems digital images benefit greatly from some sharpening and tweaking, even in JPG and not RAW ne_nau.gif. My CDN 0.02
    edited November 19, 2007
    Kelso,

To get the best images from any digital camera, but especially a DSLR like the D40, you need to have some capability at post processing like Gus said.

Your ice racing shots are not that lacking in sharpness, but in use of available contrast which is added in post processing in PS usually.

edited November 19, 2007
    I really appreciate everyone feedback.

Mr. Mushman, I have been looking at your pix for quite a while on ADVRider and they as well as others have inspired me to get back into my hobby. There are many great pix both here and there to get the creative juices flowing.
    I especially like the street portraits that I see here. That's something I need to do and to work on my skills.

I have been using Photoshop in the digital print industry since version 3 came out but I have been out of that industry for 3 years now. I still use CS3 at home though.

John68, What about a D40/80 with a Sigma 18-200, is this a good combo that would suit my needs?

I'm heading to Vegas in Jan on business and would want to have something by then, I just hope I can make up my mind...
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    John68, What about a D40/80 with a Sigma 18-200, is this a good combo that would suit my needs?

I can't speak for the Sigma, but I would pay the extra money for the Nikon.