Hello :) Smugmug questions!

nishnish Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited December 24, 2007 in SmugMug Support
New person here. Excuse the long winded first post but needed to get some things cleared up.

Just looking for a photo host and came across smugmug again.

I found it sometime last year but decided not to go with smugmug as I thought it was more expensive than other hosts.

However, after weighing up the pros and cons, its clear that you get what you pay for and smugmug is definately the best (that I have come across anyway). The recent inclusion of video confirmed that I would be moving my photos (and some videos) over to here.:thumb

I have a few questions though.

I have, for the past 4-5 years, used photobucket. However, I very much dislike the way they have gone about things recently, which has prompted me to look elsewhere..

Are changes made to the structure of smugmug (as in terms of UI) without them consulting the users first?

Is there a way I can move everything over to a smugmug account from photobucket easily? Or will I have to download everything from photobucket and then upload to smugmug? Is FTP support available?

Is it easy to customize your account/page without having programming experience in css and whatever other codes is used?

What happens if you have a pro acccount after the pro account expires. Are you supposed to keep right on top of renewing it? If you dont will the pro account revert to a normal account and all videos deleted?

Another thing. Someone has already taken "nish" for a smugmug account. However they havent updated anything on there for a few years. Would that account expire at any point? (So I could take it?)

I had more questions but my mind has gone blank! Ug.

If anyone could advise me on what I have asked it would be very much appreciated though.

Thanks in advance :clap

Nish

Comments

• CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Hello Nish! You've come to the right place with all your questions. I'll see if I can answer some of them.

I don't know much about photobucket and what changes they make and will make. I do know that SmugMug makes changes. If companies want to keep up with competion, they will have to make changes some day down the road. I know SmugMug has made changes; however, I see them all as being for the better.

As for pro account expiration, I remember getting an email stating:

(If you’re wondering why this email didn’t arrive before your anniversary, no worries: we’ve simply been immersed in engineering new features such as the new bulk move tool. In the future it will always arrive 30 days before your anniversary.)

So, it looks like they will remind you.

As long as that guy is paying, I don't see SmugMug pulling the plug if there is no activity.

Go with SmugMug and stick around DGrin! You will love it.

You should sign up for the free 14-day trial. Use my coupon http://www.smugmug.com/?referrer=5K6kMY3Pc7p7w and save $5!
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    nish wrote:
    Are changes made to the structure of smugmug (as in terms of UI) without them consulting the users first?
    we have a history of going through big changes with our customers :) recently we did SmugMug ajax via public beta (jan 2007) and then we've pre-announced several features that we were working on (add to cart, SmugMungous, and more).
    Is there a way I can move everything over to a smugmug account from photobucket easily? Or will I have to download everything from photobucket and then upload to smugmug? Is FTP support available?
    we don't have a Photobucket slurper, you might try MigratR (google it) to see if they support it.
    Is it easy to customize your account/page without having programming experience in css and whatever other codes is used?
    Sure. Start here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52812 and fire any questions at us and we'll get you going :)
    What happens if you have a pro acccount after the pro account expires. Are you supposed to keep right on top of renewing it? If you dont will the pro account revert to a normal account and all videos deleted?
    we'll remind you, but the accounts/terms are auto-renew so you won't forget thumb.gif
    Another thing. Someone has already taken "nish" for a smugmug account. However they havent updated anything on there for a few years. Would that account expire at any point? (So I could take it?)
    this is an active account, I'm sorry :( You'll need to come up with another nickname..

wave.gif welcome!
  • JetrangerJetranger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    SmugMug is tops.
    Nish,

I too looked around, and found this to be the best.

I tried the 14 day trial and within days I had a custom looking site. Just read some of the posts in here and you will see that the technical support is top notch and very fast. Not only here - but through e-mail as well.

There are many people available that really go the extra mile in helping those in need of assistance. This is so important when choosing a hosting site.

Try it ... you'll love it.

Pilot.Smugmug.com

Steve
  • nishnish Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    Hi

Thanks for the replies

Sorry for the delay (I dont have the internet in my new place).

Its a shame about the nish account being active. I cant see any activity on it since 2005.

Is there a cut off point to when it will be inactive do you know?

Thanks again

Happy holidays!

Nish
    edited December 24, 2007
    nish wrote:
    Hi

Thanks for the replies

Sorry for the delay (I dont have the internet in my new place).

Its a shame about the nish account being active. I cant see any activity on it since 2005.

Is there a cut off point to when it will be inactive do you know?

Thanks again

Happy holidays!

Nish
    Hi Nish, they've paid up :) I'm sorry that they have the name you want.
    edited December 24, 2007
    Ug :(

Can you say when their account expires?

Can I make my own web address actually? If I had my own website?

Do you know of any websites that are reliable, fast (and cheap!) Andy?

Nish
    edited December 24, 2007
    nish wrote:
    Ug :(

Can you say when their account expires?
    Doesn't matter :) it's their account... I'm betting you wouldn't want us to take your name away :)
    Can I make my own web address actually? If I had my own website?

Do you know of any websites that are reliable, fast (and cheap!) Andy?

Nish
    Have you tried to register www.nish.com ?

As a Pro, on SmugMug, you can use our CNAME feature.. :)

We LOVE www.godaddy.com thumb.gif
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts
    edited December 24, 2007
    Thanks for the speedy reply Andy :)

nish.com is taken..

Im a bit dubious to taking certain other domains though.. Is it right that .net and other domains work slower that .com or is that just a myth do you know?
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 24, 2007
    nish wrote:
    Thanks for the speedy reply Andy :)

nish.com is taken..

Im a bit dubious to taking certain other domains though.. Is it right that .net and other domains work slower that .com or is that just a myth do you know?

Myth.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited December 24, 2007
    nish wrote:
    There's no truth to that :)
    edited December 24, 2007
    Great! :)

Ive actually just checked nishphotos.com and thats available.

So if I buy that for a year, with a pro account here Ill be able to put the videos and photos through that?

Will that need much maintenance? Or can I just buy the name, then forget about it and do most of the maintenance on/through my smugmug account?
    (Am I correct in saying this ecause Ill have the rights to the webname and all the webspace is on smugmugs servers).

Sorry to ask so many questions that might be obvious to everyone.. Im just a little new to all this thats all.

N
    edited December 24, 2007
    nish wrote:
    Great! :)

Ive actually just checked nishphotos.com and thats available.

So if I buy that for a year, with a pro account here Ill be able to put the videos and photos through that?

Will that need much maintenance? Or can I just buy the name, then forget about it and do most of the maintenance on/through my smugmug account?
    (Am I correct in saying this ecause Ill have the rights to the webname and all the webspace is on smugmugs servers).

Sorry to ask so many questions that might be obvious to everyone.. Im just a little new to all this thats all.

N
    Questions are fine, ask away :)

You are buying the domain from godaddy, all your photos and website would be on SmugMug. Maintenance? Nah, once you're set up it's just adding photos and tweaking as needed.
    edited December 24, 2007
    Sounds like a winner to me.

Happy days clap.gif

Thanks again!

No doubt I will be asking you more questions on customizing soon! lol
    edited December 24, 2007
    One last one. (sorry)

Ive checked another domain site and they are saying that nishphotos.com is available to.

So does this mean that goaddy isnt actually the owner of the site and they are just making money somehow my registering the site (is this something I can do myself)?
    Or should I check around to see if other domain sites are offering the url name for cheaper?

Cheers.
    edited December 24, 2007
    nish wrote:
    One last one. (sorry)

Ive checked another domain site and they are saying that nishphotos.com is available to.

So does this mean that goaddy isnt actually the owner of the site and they are just making money somehow my registering the site (is this something I can do myself)?
    Or should I check around to see if other domain sites are offering the url name for cheaper?

Cheers.
    I think that's a question for godaddy :)
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited December 24, 2007
    nish wrote:
    One last one. (sorry)

Cheers.
    The domain (registrar) sites don't own the urls. If the url is available, it will be available from all of the registrars - until someone buys it. You could check for the cheapest price, but I'd recommend going with a registrar that is known for good service. godaddy.com is a good one, and there are others out there too.

You will have to go through one of the registrars to register the site. It's not something that can be done independently.

Also - the fact that the url you want is available today does not mean it will stay available. Even if you plan to wait a while before you start a smugmug site, you may want to consider purchasing the url now.

--- Denise