LPS16 query: noise or not?

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited November 19, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Had an idea for this round as I put my two year old to bed. Grabbed a flashlight and my camera and ended up with one useable shot (not bad considering this was f/1.8 at 1/13 sec at iso 1600). Was wondering if this shot works well for the round and if it needs noise reduction or not.

No noise reduction:
222159874-L.jpg

Noise reduction:
222159815-L.jpg

Any other thoughts/suggestions on the post?

Thanks,
E

Comments

• peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    I like it.

The ambient light is central to the composition, so it suits the theme well and the composition tells a good story.

It's not a knock your socks off type of image, but it would be a good solid entry in my eyes.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    I think the reduced noise is better. The image definitely fits the contest. Win or not, you have a wonderful portrait of your son.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Thank you both. Might try again with a different book.
    One of the best things about the LPS is that, win or not, I have gotten some of my favorite photos out of it.
    E
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    That's a very sweet shot. Definitely go with the one with the noise reduction.

Hmmm....I'm anxious to see what your "different look" will look like.
    edited November 17, 2007
    that was different 'book'. maybe Green Eggs and Ham....

I was wondering about different 'looks' too. Black and white didn't look right in LR. Went through some of my presets but none fit as well as this.

E
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Nice. I like it. When my boy gets a bit older, I am going to borrow this idea and shoot something similar.

On Noise Reduction: at this resolution I don't notice any artifacts from the noise reduction, so I say go for it.

On books: I think the matching color of the shirt and fire truck is a nice detail, so I would stick with the one you are using.

On treatments: You have a strong story going already so I don't realliy feel a treatment is necessisary. You might try selectively desaturating it a bit to give is more of a film look, but I think you will lose a lot converting this to B&W.
    edited November 19, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Nice. I like it. When my boy gets a bit older, I am going to borrow this idea and shoot something similar.

On Noise Reduction: at this resolution I don't notice any artifacts from the noise reduction, so I say go for it.

On books: I think the matching color of the shirt and fire truck is a nice detail, so I would stick with the one you are using.

On treatments: You have a strong story going already so I don't realliy feel a treatment is necessisary. You might try selectively desaturating it a bit to give is more of a film look, but I think you will lose a lot converting this to B&W.

Thanks for the great compliment (wanting to shoot a similar shot)! And thanks for the detailed comments.
    Appreciate it.
    E
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    Very cool shot...I don't know if it is my eyes....I know I have a great monitor one that has been been made for graphics and photography...So my point is...I really don't see a difference between 1 and 2.

Very nice composition.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    I like it as is. I was impressed with it when I saw it in the entry thread. I think it fits the theme nicely.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
    edited November 19, 2007
    Thanks Tentacion and T!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    Love it
    Noise reduction version for me....certainly one for the book you're going to make him...right???? Don't ask me how I know mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited November 19, 2007
    The Year 2 book is made and on its way to me now actually! Trying out that Blurb coupon and can't wait to see how it looks. This will definately go into Year 3 though.
    E