Options

*Ch 34 -Snappy's efforts

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited March 12, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Just getting started. Don't know if these fit the definition of minimalism or not. Your comments would be appreciated.

17157340-L.jpg

17157342-L.jpg

17157338-L.jpg
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    I think they do. I like the blue one the best.. the shadow makes it stand out a bit more for me..
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Yeah, the Blue, very nice thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    Thanks 4labs and bfjr. I appreciate the speedy feedback. You both vote for the blue one, huh? OK that moves that one up to the top of the heap. Got to see if I can do any better.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    You got the point of it!clap.gif
    I prefer the last one for its more uniform background (too many nuances on the others...).

Roger
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    Roger wrote:
    You got the point of it!clap.gif
    I prefer the last one for its more uniform background (too many nuances on the others...).

Roger
    Thanks Roger. That was my feeling about that one too. I like the monochrome look. I guess I'll have to see if there are any more opinions. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Well, Snap, you got some choices to make cause I definately prefer the color and light of the first one. :D:D By far the best in my oppinion. Nice angle of lighting happening here.

IMHO, Blue is too disctracting / noisy, and number 3 seems kinda soft. But I gotta say that even if there were no noise or softness, I'de still like the first the best. Guess the way I look at it, you've set yourself up to win! ne_nau.gifne_nau.gif:D
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    FreeUps wrote:
    Well, Snap, you got some choices to make cause I definately prefer the color and light of the first one. :D:D By far the best in my oppinion. Nice angle of lighting happening here.

IMHO, Blue is too disctracting / noisy, and number 3 seems kinda soft. But I gotta say that even if there were no noise or softness, I'de still like the first the best. Guess the way I look at it, you've set yourself up to win! ne_nau.gifne_nau.gif:D
    Thanks FreeUps. I appreciate your feedback.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    Fixed the blue one
    I went back and cleaned up the blue one. Is it any better?

17165912-L.jpg

Then there's this one. What do you think?
    17165914-L.jpg
  • Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Great Shots, here's my two cents. The blue is intense and almost electric yet it is somehow forced and artificial. I much prefer the subtle sophisticated tones of the more natural looking tones that make the shot seem like this thing might actually exist in nature. Also, minimalism is about stripping away anything superfluous, so in essence, to add that much color goes against the concept. Hope this was helpful...

hoping this message finds you well -Ian

ps. I see you live in S.D. I grew up in Point Loma, I really miss it : (
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    all of them are great shots. I particularly like the nuetral toned shots. They really allow you to study the intricate and regular patttern of the shell. Really nice. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    Oh, Snappy, I think yours are wonderful. You certainly have the right idea.

I like the blue because it is like one that I saw somewhere, I think on the thread that Andy recommended. But they are all nice and the opinions are split.

They are really nice.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    Great Shots, here's my two cents. The blue is intense and almost electric yet it is somehow forced and artificial. I much prefer the subtle sophisticated tones of the more natural looking tones that make the shot seem like this thing might actually exist in nature. Also, minimalism is about stripping away anything superfluous, so in essence, to add that much color goes against the concept. Hope this was helpful...

ps. I see you live in S.D. I grew up in Point Loma, I really miss it : (
    Yes! Thanks Ian. You hit the nail on the head. That's why this last one appealed to me. It's natural, kind of like #1 and the other one that is too soft, but this one is in better focus. I didn't turn up any of the colors in this one.
    It's funny that I didn't really do anything much to these. I just adjusted the temp to very cool in the RAW processing to get the blue, and I turned up the red saturation to get the more purple look. This was all done in the RAW processing. I cleaned up a funny shadow in the blue one to get it more uniform and then I added a blue gradient layer and mask to even it out.

So far, I like this last one the best.

You're from Point Loma, huh? Great place. I live in the east county. Twenty miles from the ocean, but I can see it on a clear day. You (usually) can't beat San Diego weather. Pretty rainy this year.:D
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Oh, Snappy, I think yours are wonderful. You certainly have the right idea.

I like the blue because it is like one that I saw somewhere, I think on the thread that Andy recommended. But they are all nice and the opinions are split.

They are really nice.

ginger
    Thanks Canonguy and Ginger,

I'm leaning toward the neutral ones too. The last one, I think.

Golly, I'm glad i didn't see the picture you mention. If I had I would have been afraid to do seashells. I hate to do anything that looks like sombody elses stuff. Now I'm curious though, hehehe. :D
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    I can see what you are saying about the neutral ones, but for some reason the blue one really catches the eye. Is that a bad thing in minimalism?
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 9, 2005
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    Hiya Snappy wave.gif

All good shots. #3 gets my vote.

A comment on the blue shots - My eye goes right to the shadow. Because of the shape of the shadow, and the fact that the shadow gets darker towards the bottom left of the frame, my eye tends to drift away from the shell. Does anyone else sense the same thing??? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    GatorGator Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    Love that last one! clap.gif
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    Think the tonal quality of the very first is most pleasing to my eye, while the blue is very catchy the color almost distracts from the subject, perhaps a bit more contrast between the background and object using colors in number one would help make it stand out just a bit more? I really like the way the points on the shell stand out in number 1, helps to draw your eye along the contour of the shell.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    A new one for consideration
    I took the blue one and flipped it, then processed it warmer to get a more natural color. What do you think?

17200922-L.jpg
  • Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    What if you tried some different crops? ne_nau.gif I think you've got at least seven totally different photos in that one image.

Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    Wow, such a big range of opinions
    You guys really bring out my creativity. Thanks Aero-Nut, Angelo and Gator.

Thanks Cletus, I think I improved the shadow problem with my latest fix of the "blue" shell. You like #3? Don't you think it's a little soft (oof)?

Thanks for your help Rocket Man. Seven crops! I'll have to take a look at that. I was so happy that I was using the shot full frame! I like when I get it right in the camera. Now I'll have to see if it can be improved with crops. Hmmm. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    You know Snappy, that sounds like a great picture, the tree and all, we just don't see that kind of thing very often.

That was my problem. That was why I could not stay where I usually take photos. I would love a lone tree with mostly sky etc., have never seen one when I needed it.

ginger

I answered this on Angelo's thread, so I copied it and pasted it here so you would see it. I see these great looking photos in books, very simple. But I never see that stuff in real life.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    I took the blue one and flipped it, then processed it warmer to get a more natural color. What do you think?

17200922-S.jpg
    I really like these, Snappy. I think they, especially this one, are/is better than any of mine. I think it fits minimalism perfectly. If it is a shell, I didn't know it until something you said last night. It just looks like a beautiful shape to me.

ginger
  • Options
    melmel Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    17157338-L.jpg[/QUOTE]

I love them all! I think the last one fits the challenge the best, since the shadows and edges are so subtle. Wonderful shots!
    Mel thumb.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    mel wrote:
    17157338-S.jpg

I love them all! I think the last one fits the challenge the best, since the shadows and edges are so subtle. Wonderful shots!
    Mel thumb.gif[/QUOTE]

Uh, me too. I like the tone on tone look, very simple and nice.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    Thanks everyone for your opinions. Gee, seems like everyone likes a different one for a different reason. I tried to find a few crops. I only came up with four and I used several different originals. Here they are. Open for comments.
    17214926-M.jpg

17214940-M.jpg

17215029-M.jpg

#417214970-M.jpg
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    17157338-L.jpg

thumb.gif this one this one!!! I love it iloveyou.gif I agree with mel and lynn
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    One more crop
    Is this more simple?
    17219146-L.jp
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    I didn't notice all the comments - and you all like the same one. Thanks ginger, Lynne, Mel, Tanna. I hope you guys are right because I entered that one. I put a border on it and made it look finished. There is still a lot of time 'till the end of the challenge. I'll keep looking for new ideas.

Oh, just noticed Ginger liked the other pink one. Well, I didn't pick that one because I started to think the shadow and the ground seemed to make three separate elements.
    The other one has just one element, no defined shadow, all one color (would have been good for "predominent color), and a repeating pattern with the ribs of the shell and the little points. No layers either, the color was all done in RAW. Just a little healing tool on a few specks, the border and signature. Natural light .
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Thanks Cletus, I think I improved the shadow problem with my latest fix of the "blue" shell. You like #3? Don't you think it's a little soft (oof)?
    17157338-S.jpg

Sometimes having the focus a bit soft is a good thing. I think it helps in this case. Because the image is bright with fairly low contrast it has an airy feel to it. Having razor sharp focus on the edges of the shell would be out of place here. This shot still gets my vote.