Options

Wide Angle Suggestions

KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
edited March 9, 2005 in Accessories
Me want wide, wide, wide.

I would like to round out my lens collection.
Currently I have : Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS, Canon 100 2.8 macro.

I will eventually get the Canon 35 f1.4 L and a fast telephoto prime. But the cost of those two will put them well into the future. So, I want a wide angle to complete the one end and I'll worry about my good prime and telephoto later.

So now I ask you pros and all with experience with these type of lenses, since I have none, what should I get?

I have a Canon 20D. With that 1.6 crop factor anything above a 16mm is out for me.

1. My hesitation on the Canon EF-S 10-22 is that it's an EF-S and may not be worth squat to me 5 years from now, and for the price, I wish it was faster and came with a lens hood.

2. I've been interested in the Sigma 14mm, but all the stories about re-chipping and that you have to be lucky to get a "good" one scare me.

3. I've not read much at all about the Tamron 14. It's like no one owns one.

Your help and suggestions are needed. Once I get this lens and the Sigma 500 flash, I'm done spending for awhile.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    1. My hesitation on the Canon EF-S 10-22 is that it's an EF-S and may not be worth squat to me 5 years from now, and for the price, I wish it was faster and came with a lens hood.
    You're not going to get any wider than that 10mm. It rocks. Who cares if it's not worth squat in five years. Think of all the drebel owners who will still demand it.

I've got a couple lens hoods for ya. A cheap chinese canon-branded hood for $18 shipped, and an o-fish-ul japanese EW-83E for $33 shipped.

These were shot with the 10-22 EF-S. Speed really isn't an issue, as f3.5 isn't far from an f2.8.

15299763-L-1.jpg

15466836-L.jpg

15466278-L.jpg

15467411-L.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    fish wrote:
    You're not going to get any wider than that 10mm. It rocks. Who cares if it's not worth squat in five years. Think of all the drebel owners who will still demand it.

I've got a couple lens hoods for ya. A cheap chinese canon-branded hood for $18 shipped, and an o-fish-ul japanese EW-83E for $33 shipped.

These were shot with the 10-22 EF-S. Speed really isn't an issue, as f3.5 isn't far from an f2.8.

nod.gif what fish sez. buy the 10-22, and be done. your *only* other alternatives are the popeye (sigma 12-24) or the canon 15mm fish + defishing software everytime.

the 10-22 rawks

12915620-L.jpg

handheld, canon 20d. 10-22mm ef-s lens aboard. 10mm (16mm in 35mm equiv); f/5.6 @ 1/320th sec.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Nice fountain, Fish. Looks good.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited March 8, 2005
    Going wide
    Khaos, first off, your current list of lenses is spectacular. This shows, to me at least, that you've done your homework well. :D

I don't have any wide good glass at the moment, but I've been spending many many nights 'til 2am reading through the Canon Lens Forum at DPR and at F.M. 20D forums lately.

Many Sigma's, especially the super-wide zooms, seem to have compatibility issues right now with 20D's. Tons and tons of threads going around about that. In time, I trust those issues will be sorted out (although YMMV with any lens). Current Canon and Tamron glass seem to be either aligned better, or are more electrically-tuned to the 20D.

Waaaay more thumbs up for the Canon 10-22 EF-S than down. Seems to be crisp at either ends in aperture or focal settings (though soft at wide open, as they all are).

For such a quality wide rectilinear lens with low occurances of PF and CA, 6 bills is not too extreme, but the other quality alternatives aren't exactly inexpensive either. Its about as close to L glass as you can get.

Someday, you'll outgrow your 20D for a 50D. And if they change crops back to FF, or 1.3, then the 10-22 could become a value-added inclusion with the 20D at sale time.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    What's wider than the 14mm for the 1D Mark II? I know Nikon has a 13mm/5.6....
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    The 10-22 it is then.

Thank you all. This site has been invaluable to me in learning.

Now I need someone to buy my 28 -135. :D