Does this say "ambient"?

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited November 22, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm exactly sure what to do for this theme. I took this one yesterday and was wondering whether or not it works. :scratch

222136396-L-1.jpg

Comments

• GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    I like the shot a lot.

The light looks ambient to me, but then I have not been a great judge of what the themes mean.
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    I like it and it has a nice crisp fall feel to it. To me, ambient light is more diffuse and less crisp. This almost seems to fit the flash category better with the sun's crisp flash of light peeking through the tree in a sunburst and casting long shadows.

A word that came to my mind immediately when I thought of the ambient theme for this round is Crepuscule (love that word). I think a twilight shot could fit the ambient theme quite well. Or, perhaps a foggy shot.

my $0.02

-paul

Edit: Just wanted to make it clear(er) that I really like this picture and that it probably doesn't matter much if it's considered ambient or flash or whatever because light is showcased well.
  • PwFPwF Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    YES! Of couse it's ambiant.
    richtersl wrote:
    I'm exactly sure what to do for this theme. I took this one yesterday and was wondering whether or not it works. headscratch.gif
    Ambiant is ANY existing light falling on a subject and you can't get any more ambiant than the sun.

Great backlighting shot by the way!
    Love the rock! You might try to dodge and lighten it just a slight bit to make it even more interesting texture wise.
    B SUM 1
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Very Very Nice.

Joe
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    I like the starburst of light. The stone bothers me a bit, but I am nitpicking. I like how the light springs off the tree. Lovely... I share the view of the previous commenter that it does not really look like ambient... I would ambient consider to be soft. But as you don't use flash I hope, it is ambient in the sence of using the existing light...

Hmmm, I'm not helping am I????
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Beautiful image. I'd be shocked if it was considered "off-theme".
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Beautiful image. I'd be shocked if it was considered "off-theme".

Ditto.

In my opinion, this photo is much more on theme than many of the photos posted so far. The ambient light is an obvious part of the composition and I think it fits the theme perfectly.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    What did you do, Linda?.. Did you just lolly-gag out there and take this fantastic image? It's stunning, and I don't see anything to change about it, or any reason to change it, but as to meeting the theme, I'm not sure.

I see "ambient" as meaning either "indirect" or "unnoticably in the background." Sure the light source is in the background, but is it unnoticable?
    Did you use fill flash to light the stone, or is that lit by indirect light or other source that just happens to be around? So then, is it flash or is it ambient?

So, realizing that this isn't a philosophy forum......
    ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    Great Capture Linda....
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    This is an awesome, awesome image. bowdown.gif

Even though I don't have time, I have been making time with this one, and probably the last few too rolleyes1.gifI just love thinking about it

I wiki'd 'ambient' as I took some portraits of my girl, and us together yesterday and today with my version of 'ambient' in mind and I am not sure either, if we're hitting the theme, even though it hits it for me!

It more or less says in wiki ' all that is around' and the ambient lighting was all directional

I think ambient and mood and my taste with my work is eek7.gif

not much help, but I love this image! clap.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    Wow! I didn't expect al this wonderful feedback. Thank you very much, everyone. iloveyou.gif

When I took the photo I wasn't thinking of the LPS. I only thought of it after I viewed in my LCD.

The sun was going down and at the time I was taking photos it was sandwiched between two clouds so I had only a few minutes of light left to shoot. I saw the backlighting after I took the shot and was thinking it was ambient enough to light up the background and still give me plenty of foreground detail.

But would it be ambient enough for the theme? ne_nau.gif

Paul's comment about the flash of sunlight through the tree is a good one. I would never have thought of it that way. thumb.gif

I guess I need to stop obsessing so much over this. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    I think it screams
    AMBIENT!!!!! Nice photograph....very nice indeed.mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • PwFPwF Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    Ambiant light is ANY natural light falling on a subject.
    It has nothing to do with if it is soft, sidelight, or anything else.
    It can be direct from the sun, skylight through a window, or even
    reflected light off of a building, or window, or wall.
    B SUM 1
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    wow wow wow wow.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    Thanks Swarzty pwf, and Indie!!! :D
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2007
    It's de-lovely and de-lightful!
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com