cathy's horses

livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
edited November 17, 2007 in People
i debated whether to post this here or in with animals, ended up here. i board my horse and put up a sign advertising my photography. one of the women and her three horses was my first client. it had been raining for weeks, and this one day it stopped long enough for us to get some shots. no sun, but i like the soft look and the colors she wore were perfect with the backgrounds. she has very asymetrical features, which very definitely gave her two sides.
210741450-M.jpg

210742142-M.jpg

210744018-M.jpg

210748001-M.jpg

#5 for some reason we both really like this one
210753099-M.jpg

210756508-M.jpg

210755822-M.jpg

210769165-M.jpg

#9 being silly
210775656-M.jpg

#10 the third horse, later in the day
211101356-M.jpg

thanks for looking
laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    The fourth and seventh are my favorites, they are all nice. Great setting and I love the horses!

Is it a WB issue causing her outfit to change shades - from brown through green?

ann
  • RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Horse shots are HARD
    I did my first and hopefully last horse and rider shoot this summer. I think horses are really hard to shoot well. Even worse when you have to get a person in the frame as well. I would have to say that #4 is the best of the lot (IMHO).

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    The fourth and seventh are my favorites, they are all nice. Great setting and I love the horses!

Is it a WB issue causing her outfit to change shades - from brown through green?

ann
    probably. the shots that are greener were done looking one direction, the browner ones in the other direction. i should have worked on them more in post to change them, but she was happy with them.......

my stuff
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    I did my first and hopefully last horse and rider shoot this summer. I think horses are really hard to shoot well. Even worse when you have to get a person in the frame as well. I would have to say that #4 is the best of the lot (IMHO).

thanks, having owner and horse together is challenging. i took a workshop on equine photography a few weeks prior to the shoot, and it helped a lot. we learned about posing the rider to keep a flattering line to the body, trying to get the owner looking the same way as the horse to make a good connection, and ways to find the connection between horse and owner. sometimes just shooting a candid rather than posted photo makes that connection better than anything else. we also worked on lighting, and using open shade for good reflections, but that of course wasn't possible on the day we worked. there are more who want portraits done, but we will most likely wait until spring for better backgrounds and color.

my stuff
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Love #4 and 9, last one is great shot of the horse as well. Good work!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8