Too boring?

JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited November 20, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Just took this yesterday in the garden. Is it too boring/lacking a subject? And how well does it fit the theme? C&C appreciated!
flower2a.jpg
Jethro :D
My Blog
Jethro Kingston Photography
Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE

Comments

• peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Hi Jet,

Firstly, welcome aboard, it's good to see the LPS expanding (and as an Ozzie too, it's always good to see more).

In relation to your shot, my initial reaction is that it isn't quite on theme.

It's a nice photo, but the lighting is very flat.

Since the theme is ambient or flash, to me that means that the light itself is the subject. So while the theme is very open to what you can shoot, it's just seems to me that taking a photo under flat lighting conditions probably won't make the top 10.

I would consider shooting at a different time of day (eg. to get some nice warm afternoon light), or adding reflectors, flash etc. in so that you get some real shape because of the different light direction and intnesity.

Just my 0.02c.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    Hello Peter, thanks for your 2c, it was appreciated and needed. headscratch.gif I see what you mean. I'll try and shoot something with more of a focus on lighting.
    My Blog
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    I agree that the lighting is flat, and that the light should "stand out" for this theme. I have(had--they've gone dormant now) a similiar flower in my garden, and have tried on several occasions to get a great picture of them--for some reason, it is a little bit difficult. The best luck I've had is when the sunlight was shining behind the bloom, and the petals had some water drops on them. Good luck!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Remember also if taking photos of flowers not to chop the end of one of the petals - it kind of spoils the image some.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    More options?
    Thanks for the input everyone :)
    Ive come up with a few more, please let me know what you thinkheadscratch.gif

This flower doesnt have the same colours as the last one, but has less flat lighting
    Flower2.jpg

This one of the web is annoying because the spider is hardly recognisable.. eek7.gif
    Web.jpg

Today I was taking pics of model rockets being set off, and i thought maybe the flame out the back could be considered ambient light mwink.gif. I cant seem to find a 'good' crop of this one..
    Rocket1.jpg

None of these are amazing but I am not being hit with inspiration for this theme.. and am obviously still have a lot to learn
    My Blog
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Your new flower photo is much better. I think it is a potential to work with unless you find a more "inspiring to you" shot between now and end of the competition. If you have some post production skills, I would recommend some tweeking to make it punch a little more. If you don't have the skills, check out the other sections of SmugMug to learn some. Welcome and good luck!