Options

White Balance

LKDesignsLKDesigns Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited December 8, 2007 in Technique
I have a Canon Rebel XTi and I want to learn how to set the "custom white balance." I was told to shoot at something pure white, and then use the custom setting, but I am still not quite getting it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    Hope this helps
    I know nothing about your camera, but maybe this .pdf from Expodisc will help you with the process. Somebody with your particular camera will probably wade in too. I'm assuming you've dug out your manual.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    LKDesigns wrote:
    I have a Canon Rebel XTi and I want to learn how to set the "custom white balance." I was told to shoot at something pure white, and then use the custom setting, but I am still not quite getting it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Did you change the setting in the camera menu as well?

To set the custom white balance, you need to do three things.
    1) Shoot a white balance shot using AWB using the correct exposure settings at the right lighting conditions.
    2) Go the camera menu system, and select that image for the whit ebalance, set ti
    3) Change camera from AWB to the custom white balance setting.
  • Options
    ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    LKDesigns wrote:
    In addition to what Aktse said, you will have to repeat that process for any change in settings. IE: If you set it for a partially cloudy day, and are now standing under a shaded area in a partially cloudy day, you should do a custom shot before. At least I always had to unless I was doing something wrong.

The XTi is fairly easy to set though.
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    setting CWB
    Expodisc even has a video that details how to do this.
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    I started out using in camera settings, but found that at or near sunset, I would be continually changing the camera - a nuisance.

I purchased a small (fits in my shirt pocket) white balance disk, and just take a few shots of it as I go along (every few minutes or so, or if I venture into shade).

Using the in-camera method would be useful at an indoor sports event, but for a football/baseball game that starts in the late pm or early evening, one could go crazy.:D

I noticed that rare is the crowd/team where there is no white clothing/uniforms, and combined with shooting raw, the WB can be set after in PP.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900