Manito Ahbee

nightcloudnightcloud Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited November 26, 2007 in People
Here are some Photos I took of the 2007 Manito Ahbee International Competition Pow Wow in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Nov 3 and 4th
please feel free to comment.

ManitoAhbee00226.jpgIMG_1750.jpg
IMG_3009.jpgManitoAhbee00232.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    I'm moving this to the 'People' forum! :D
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    Wow!
    What fantastic color
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    It sure does look like very colorful dress. Did you boost the saturation a little extra, or are they realy that brilliant? To my eye, there is almost too much of a riot of color -- I don't know what to focus on. If you are boosting the saturation, you might try using a layer mask to focus the color boost more on your main subject, and leave the backgrounds and lessor characters a little more subdued.
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    Great! I intend to shoot PowWow photos one day, along with rodeo. Interesting pars of our heritage, and it is wonderful that they are being kept alive.

I love the colorful beadwork that the plains people make. Thanks for sharing these.

ann
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    Looks like a good time to me....although I find the watermark to be very distracting.
  • nightcloudnightcloud Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    1pocket wrote:
    It sure does look like very colorful dress. Did you boost the saturation a little extra, or are they realy that brilliant? To my eye, there is almost too much of a riot of color -- I don't know what to focus on. If you are boosting the saturation, you might try using a layer mask to focus the color boost more on your main subject, and leave the backgrounds and lessor characters a little more subdued.

I did it in the Raw software. Boost Saturation by one stop. I only used photoshop for re-sizing and overlaying the watermarks
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    I always enjoy these types of images as the colors are so incredible. I don't think you are doing the event justice by combing the shots in a collage-type post. It is very difficult to focus on this way. In addition, your crops on the individual shots are confusing to look at due too much background detail. Were these shot under stadium lights? Perhaps your lighting was not the best to shoot under. I think one couldn't ask for a better opportunity color-wise than shooting one of these events!!!
    edited November 19, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    I always enjoy these types of images as the colors are so incredible. I don't think you are doing the event justice by combing the shots in a collage-type post. It is very difficult to focus on this way. In addition, your crops on the individual shots are confusing to look at due too much background detail. Were these shot under stadium lights? Perhaps your lighting was not the best to shoot under. I think one couldn't ask for a better opportunity color-wise than shooting one of these events!!!

I got hundreds if not thousands of images from the 10 day music and pow wow event. the most difficult thing is deciding on which images to post
    the lighting was horrible, the stadium lights are a florescent type. and really low.

I shot them with a 24-70 at F2.8 varying between 80-200 a second between 800-1600 ISO depending on the location and type of action.
  • Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Beautiful subjects! I'm hoping to shoot the annual Time-out and Wacipi with dancers, drummers and musicians near my home next spring. I've never had the opportunity to take advantage of this unique cultural experience, even though it's practically in my back yard. I'll probably have some of the same issues with shooting indoors under flourescent lights in a sports arena.
    C and C always welcome.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    nightcloud wrote:
    Here are some Photos I took of the 2007 Manito Ahbee International Competition Pow Wow in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Nov 3 and 4th
    please feel free to comment.

nice subjects but background crowd is bit distracting. Looks like it might have been hard to avoid though
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited November 21, 2007
    I think the lack of depth of field had to do with my lens, I sent it in along with my body, I've also been experiencing lots of lens flare issues with the 24-70L.ne_nau.gif

at 2.8 the background should be blurred out right?
  • mentuckmentuck Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 25, 2007
    manito ahbee pictures
    hey guy where can i see ur full list of pics u took at the 07 manito ahbee powwow. i was a dancer and wanna see if u got any of me or my daughters.
  • JaravissJaraviss Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    very cool
    i'm new to digital (and photography in general) so i haven't had a chance to take pics at any celebrations yet...but this will keep me enthused!

I'm a Blackfeet Indian from Browning, Montana and they have their annual Indian Days in late July or early August.

they have it outdoors in a pavillion...but at night, they turn on the lights.
    not sure if they're HPS lights or something else...so i'll have to deal with the color temperature/white balance/etc when i get there.

anyway..yes these are nice colors....even without the saturation..they're very vibrant and colorful!

so much non-stop action and movement.

i'd love to take a shot of some "fancy dancers" in action...maybe with a slower shutter speed to get some motion/blur.

very cool shots.

i agree about the collage...maybe post as individual shots.

good stuff!
    -G
    equipment:
    canon rebel XTi
    18-55mm lens
    60mm macro lens
    75-300mm telephoto lens
    canon speelite 580 EXII
  • JaravissJaraviss Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    mentuck wrote:
    hey guy where can i see ur full list of pics u took at the 07 manito ahbee powwow. i was a dancer and wanna see if u got any of me or my daughters.

that would be soo cool if he got a few shots of you and your family!

dgrinners meet online and share photos!!!

clap.gif

-G
    equipment:
    canon rebel XTi
    18-55mm lens
    60mm macro lens
    75-300mm telephoto lens
    canon speelite 580 EXII
    edited November 25, 2007
    mentuck I got 7000 Images from the 10 day event have any photos of you up so I know what I am looking for?

Jaraviss if you are inside your going to need a Prime lens or a really fast (f2.8) zoom, also if you don't have a press pass its always good to ask or at least watch their body language, some ppl don't like being photographed

I was shooting at
    f2.8
    1/80 (dark areas) to 1/200 (bright areas under the lights)
    ISO 800-1600
    no flash
    white balance florescent

custom functions
    Sharpness +1
    Contrast +3
    Saturation +1
    Tone 0 (no change)
  • mentuckmentuck Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 26, 2007