Boy hard at work...

adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited November 19, 2007 in People
I want to get this picture blown up and hung up some where... this is my son. I'd love some C.C on it. I can of course re-shoot, but there is just something about this one that I love. So... let me know... any thoughts on making it better? BG too dark? Too much foreground?
222870866-L.jpg
Thank you!

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 19, 2007
    angela-

I like the composition of it, but since it's a photo of your son I would like to see him better, so think about cutting down on the fg-

it would be nice to bring out the bg shadows if you can (try advanced s/h but in small doses)-

tell him when he gets done with his trike that I've got some things at my house he can work on!-

pm to you-
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    Great shot!
    I've got one that loves to tinker too! (see my avatar photo)

Personally I think the exposure looks good. From strictly a composition standpoint, I would cut out some of the f/g, but definitely not all...it lends to the sense of depth in the photo. There's a small dark splotch mid-line in the f/g (the DOF seems to fall off right in there too)...I would make the cut line about there. Also, while the other piece of the trike adds to the photo story line of the photo, asthetically (to me) it's also a little distracting. In summary, a rectangular crop removing about half of the f/g and the other piece of the trike is what I would suggest...that said, that removes quite a bit of your original file size which will limit how big you can blow it up.

Regardless of how you end up composing it, it's still a great shot!
    223112681-S.jpg

Cheers!
    -JB
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • susanbudgesusanbudge Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    What a lovely photograph! I particularly like the colour and think it adds very much to the shot. I also like the way the foreground leads into your son but I agree with the others that it can afford to lose some to focus more on him.

I would go along totally with the crop that CTUphoto suggests. If you are wanting to enlarge it a bit afterwards, you can try increasing in increments of 10% which is supposed to be an effective way of enlarging a photo in photoshop. You would have to be careful not to go too far though. Go into image size and change the measurements to percent and the amount to 110% and click OK. Repeat as required. You could set an action up for this. Sorry if I am teaching grandma to suck eggs :D I've not been posting here long and am not familiar with everyones PS experience.

A lovely photo though and one to be proud of.
  • adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    angela-

I like the composition of it, but since it's a photo of your son I would like to see him better, so think about cutting down on the fg-

it would be nice to bring out the bg shadows if you can (try advanced s/h but in small doses)-

tell him when he gets done with his trike that I've got some things at my house he can work on!-

pm to you-

Thank you! I appreciate the PM and the advice! I'm going to work on this tonight... but like the cropping and cloning you did, THANK YOU!

I'm also thinking about putting some quote on the bottom half... something about determination or something... which will probably still work with the new crop... getting rid of some FG.
    edited November 19, 2007
    CTUphoto wrote:
    I've got one that loves to tinker too! (see my avatar photo)

Personally I think the exposure looks good. From strictly a composition standpoint, I would cut out some of the f/g, but definitely not all...it lends to the sense of depth in the photo. There's a small dark splotch mid-line in the f/g (the DOF seems to fall off right in there too)...I would make the cut line about there. Also, while the other piece of the trike adds to the photo story line of the photo, asthetically (to me) it's also a little distracting. In summary, a rectangular crop removing about half of the f/g and the other piece of the trike is what I would suggest...that said, that removes quite a bit of your original file size which will limit how big you can blow it up.

Regardless of how you end up composing it, it's still a great shot!

Cheers!
    -JB

Thank you for the advice!! I really appreciate it! I think you're right about the distracting piece behind him. I may clone it out and then crop the FG where suggested. YAY! Thank you!
    edited November 19, 2007
    susanbudge wrote:
    What a lovely photograph! I particularly like the colour and think it adds very much to the shot. I also like the way the foreground leads into your son but I agree with the others that it can afford to lose some to focus more on him.

I would go along totally with the crop that CTUphoto suggests. If you are wanting to enlarge it a bit afterwards, you can try increasing in increments of 10% which is supposed to be an effective way of enlarging a photo in photoshop. You would have to be careful not to go too far though. Go into image size and change the measurements to percent and the amount to 110% and click OK. Repeat as required. You could set an action up for this. Sorry if I am teaching grandma to suck eggs :D I've not been posting here long and am not familiar with everyones PS experience.

A lovely photo though and one to be proud of.

Thank you Susanbudge! Thank you for the comments! I'm thinking nothing more than a 5X7 photo, so I think it'll still work out. Like I said, I'm trying to come up with a nice quote for under it... may frame it for his room. I'm still thinking!! ;) THANK YOU!
  • LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    Dear Angela,

This is a lovely photo and one you will remember.
    I am a very opinionated person so take whatever I say with at least two grains of salt.ne_nau.gif

1) Crop this to a 4x5 aspect ratio so you can enlarge to 8 x 10. A standard format will allow much less expensive framing. And the picture deserves that size.

2) the composition is a little idiosyncratic but the various elements really work together. The part of the bike on the left balances out the boy working on the right. The window in upper right sets a stage that will bring back memories. Taking out thee things will make the picture too empty.

3) I would not put an inscription under the photo. That will limit how people look at the photo and turn it into a poster rather than the very nice picture of your little boy it is now. Let the viewers look at it and get from it what they will.

bikeboykn3.jpg
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com