Options

Revert Picture To Original From a Saved one

sinetic87sinetic87 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 21, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi everyone,

I have a picture with added text and icons which I didn't like and wish to delete them away. They are on the picture itself so if I erased them, it will leave a white spot and the picture is ruined.

To make things more complicated, my group mate has deleted the original picture and thus the picture I'm holding on to is the last one.
I can't possibly go and recapture the picture because that's taken overseas.

I've searched through the internet and still can't find a way to do it. Is there any other software or perhaps photoshop itself can do it?

All I wish for is to remove the text and icons and at the same time without ruining the picture. It's like doing the UNDO option but in my case it's from a SAVED file.

Thanks for hearing me out,

Sinetic87

Comments

• Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    You can't undo it, but you might be able to clone out the text in Photoshop.
    Of course, we can't comment on how difficult that might be without seeing the
    photo.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    x2. From what you've described, the saved file has no way of knowing what's "behind" the text/etc. Cloning/editing sounds like your only option; location of text/etc. over complexity of the background determines how much of a chore it will be. Is it possible to try and track down the pre-text/etc. version?
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 19, 2007
    Why don't you post the image here, and let us all see it, so that we can make suggestions?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    For the task itself, another echo of the above.

Now, for the future, follow our mantra around here: never ever, EVER save over your original image file. Save a copy of your edits & leave the original untouched--think of it as your negative. A very good practice to get into is to set those original files as read-only upon download. At least some download utiliteis will do this for you so you cannot forget (mine is set to).
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    Now, for the future, follow our mantra around here: never ever, EVER save over your original image file. Save a copy of your edits & leave the original untouched--think of it as your negative. A very good practice to get into is to set those original files as read-only upon download. At least some download utiliteis will do this for you so you cannot forget (mine is set to).

I don't think he edited the original. I think someone else deleted it.
    To make things more complicated, my group mate has deleted the original picture and thus the picture I'm holding on to is the last one.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Yes to what was said above unless you happen to have it saved in a multiple layer type format such as .psd .tif and the text is on a seperate layer than the photo.

Otherwise post it here and some of the photoshop gurus here will have a go a fixing it to the best of their ability. You would be amazed at what can be done.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    I don't think he edited the original. I think someone else deleted it.

Ah, upon re-reading you are correct. So, that means somebody needs a smack on the back of the head. :smack

That brings up another mantra around here: backup, backup, backup. :D
  • Options
    sinetic87sinetic87 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 21, 2007
    thanks guys for your suggestions, I think what I can do is to forgo this current picture and replace it with another one in my project.

Yeah, I've learnt my lesson already. BACKUP is the word that I will always remember.

Guys, really thank so much for your prompt response. I really appreciate it. Thanks! = )

Sinetic87