Help...just bought a canon 5d!!!!!!

PicGirlPicGirl Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited November 19, 2007 in Cameras
I just bought a new Canon 5d and I know I'm doing something terribly wrong. I shot some family photos, and my resolution is terrible. In Photoshop it says that I can only print it to a 3x5 or something. I had it set to large and raw when shooting. The pictures were taken outside with a flash. Can anyone help?:dunno

Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 19, 2007
    PicGirl wrote:
    I just bought a new Canon 5d and I know I'm doing something terribly wrong. I shot some family photos, and my resolution is terrible. In Photoshop it says that I can only print it to a 3x5 or something. I had it set to large and raw when shooting. The pictures were taken outside with a flash. Can anyone help?ne_nau.gif

Thanks!

If you shot "Large and RAW" the problem is most likely in your use of PhotoShop.

Can you elaborate how you open and save files, especially RAW files?

Which version of PhotoShop?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PicGirlPicGirl Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    I actually just bought Lightroom, and I imported my pics straight from the memory card into Lightroom. I thought it was odd that there wasn't two sets of photos (one JPG and one raw) like when I used my Nikon software. There was only one, and from there I hit edit in PS CS3.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 19, 2007
    PicGirl wrote:
    I actually just bought Lightroom, and I imported my pics straight from the memory card into Lightroom. I thought it was odd that there wasn't two sets of photos (one JPG and one raw) like when I used my Nikon software. There was only one, and from there I hit edit in PS CS3.

Try using just PS CS3, which should be able to open the files directly. Copy a RAW file onto your hard drive.

Open the RAW file and the Adobe Camera RAW window should open. You should be able to see the image dimensions in the "Size" dialog. Does the "Size" show 4368 x 2912?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PicGirlPicGirl Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    I did go into my preferences in Lightroom and change the one that said something about jpg and raw being seen as two separate photos, and now when I take the pics they are the right resolution in CS3. I just don't understand that even when I had them set to go into just one image...why that image was so bad? I had it set to raw and large jpg, and now I've deleted them from my card so I've lost the original raw files. OH well...I guess you live and learn. Thank you sooooo much for your help!
  • Dusty SensibaDusty Sensiba Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    hmmm...
    I know just the solution. Send me the 5D and you'll never have to worry about it again.rolleyes1.gif

But seriously, what process did you do that told you it could only print a 3X5?
    Did you open the RAW file or the JPG?
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    It sounds to me like you are seeing a preview resolution JPEG. If you are using Lightroom, there isn't a lot of reason to shoot RAW + JPEG because Lighroom makes generating JPEGs when you need the trivial. Shoot RAW only (which is what I do with my 5D) and see if that sorts the issue out.