'Meat' photo groups.

LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
edited November 20, 2007 in Landscapes
Although the online communities are satisfying for the most part, every once in a while, I like to talk to a real live person who is a photographer so I went to a meeting of the Washington DC Meetup.com Photography Group.

It was enjoyable, although the skill/experience level was not high. I had an hour or so before the meeting and I set myself the goal to take pictures in different 'styles'. These below were the result.

The exhibition at the National Gallery of Art (on snapshots) was interesting, the group was good, lunch and discussion was the best part.

DCGroup_2007-11-18_060edit.jpg

DCGroup_2007-11-18_052BW.jpg

DCGroup_2007-11-18_003edit.jpg
New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    So I'm curious to hear more about the group as I have limited experience interacting with other photographers in this area. You said the level of experience wasn't high: but is this a good or a bad thing? :D

You got some amazing colors out of that ordinary puddle of water. And in #2 is that guy homeless or just taking a nap? He's dressed very well!
  • LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    So I'm curious to hear more about the group as I have limited experience interacting with other photographers in this area. You said the level of experience wasn't high: but is this a good or a bad thing? :D

You got some amazing colors out of that ordinary puddle of water. And in #2 is that guy homeless or just taking a nap? He's dressed very well!
    I have gone to a couple of the established local photo groups (I live 14 miles north of DC) but most of the members had established their styles and habits a long time ago and I was looking for a more dynamic developing environment. (I am the oldest juvenile in the US)

Meetup groups are generally younger and my hope was that I could find one or two persons who were really involved in photography who were 'at my level', with whom I could share photos and critiques and from whom I could learn something. (I know that sounds pompous but I don't know how better to say it)

The people at this group were, for the most part, intelligent, charming and interested - but with very little real experience as photographers.

I'm hoping that amongst their membership, which is large, there are a few of the people I'm looking for. So I will be going back. I have committed to teaching a basic course in PS if there is interest.

My hope is that I can find one, two or more people with the interest and time who would like to collaborate on a project (to be decided later).
    schmoo wrote:
    And in #2 is that guy homeless or just taking a nap? He's dressed very well!
    When I got closer, he sat up and glared and I backed off. He was dressed reasonable well. My guess is that he is a Bush nominee waiting for congressional approval.rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    But of course . . .
    schmoo wrote:
    is that guy homeless or just taking a nap? He's dressed very well!

This is DC, not Ballmer. Higher standards, wot?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.