2047645273_d7d76ed616_o.jpg
2047645513_c5a3b2c11b_o.jpg
2048434796_858f4d345e_o.jpg
2048435312_4ed7765f5c_o.jpg
2047646211_2163261dce_o.jpg
2047646715_62c7e25ff8_o.jpg
2048436994_05ded3f3bb_o.jpg
2048437130_6930f23438_o.jpg
You can view the whole set on my flickr page.

Comments

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    I love 2 and 3 the best of the whole set. Interesting work!!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I love 2 and 3 the best of the whole set. Interesting work!!

Thank you :D
  • Options
    DJTHEMACDJTHEMAC Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    excellent idea choosing a non-traditional setting for these photos. I think they came out beautifully. nicely done
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2007
    DJTHEMAC wrote:
    excellent idea choosing a non-traditional setting for these photos. I think they came out beautifully. nicely done

Thanks for your comments!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    I love the setting - it brings more than just a little character to the photos. I would love to get a bride that was willing to risk a little dirt on her gown before the big day. That would be awesome.

You asked for C&C, so I offer this in hope that it will help you improve on your next shot (can't learn anything if everyone says how wonderful your shots are without showing you the potential for improvement):
    1. Union Pacific - rail car is sharp, she's soft, especially her face. Was this your intent?
    2. The beam she's leaning against is more sharply focused than is her face. Hmmm...
    3. The background is a good idea. If possible, I think I might have moved her a little more to her left to avoid having the brick work in the background. Her veil appears to be blown (it might not be as this monitor I have at work is cr*p). If it is, maybe a little more fill would have help balance the illumination?
    4. I like the idea - sitting the bride in a window seat. Problems I see include exposing for the outside (causing the shadows to be just a bit much) and distracting reflections in the window. I'm thinking a little fill here would have relieved the shadow a bit. The detail outside the window doesn't add to the photo - it doesn't do anything to tell us where the photo was taken.
    5. This one I really like. We have detail in the shadows and we can see the outside to detail to provide some context to the shot.
    6. This is a good start on the idea. The only real issue I see is that you have the bride half in the sunlight and half in shadow. The result is that a large portion of the bodice of her gown is blown or nearly blown and you have a hot spot on the left side of her neck and left ear.
    7. Well done. It appears you have the focus on the near eye - where it belongs and you have a wonderful expression. I like this!
    8. Focus on the flowers? If that's you intent (and nothing wrong with that) than this was well executed. I might like to see the lower-right corner darkened a bit to reduce the distraction of the sunlight on her gown.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    #1 is definitely my favorite, I love the colors and her placement. You composed this shot very well! What a lovely subject you have here, and she's obviously very comfortable with you! clap.gif

I must say however I am not a fan of the processing, it seems like you've made them very saturated and contrasty, then added a soft focus filter on top of that. I also see some pretty intense high pass filter? I would suggest choosing one mindset/approach and running with that, as the combination is somewhat contradictory, and isn't doing the more feminine images justice.

I think Scott has given you some great technical aspects to think about next time, but I think with a lighter touch on the processing these have a lot of potential! this of course is a matter of personal taste, but I hope the feedback helps!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    I think I see where you were going with #4 & #5 with the window and natural light but I think if you would have taken a shot from the location that you were in #4 and how she was posed in #5 you would have gotten a great profile image of her with the natural light.

I routinely try to slow down once the bride/model is placed and try to work around them for various angles of the same setup. Many times I am really glad I took the extra 2 or 3 images as those turn out to be the best.

Very unique location, its definitely different than what you would usually see in a bridal portrait location.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2007
    I love the setting - it brings more than just a little character to the photos. I would love to get a bride that was willing to risk a little dirt on her gown before the big day. That would be awesome.

You asked for C&C, so I offer this in hope that it will help you improve on your next shot (can't learn anything if everyone says how wonderful your shots are without showing you the potential for improvement):
    1. Union Pacific - rail car is sharp, she's soft, especially her face. Was this your intent?
    2. The beam she's leaning against is more sharply focused than is her face. Hmmm...
    3. The background is a good idea. If possible, I think I might have moved her a little more to her left to avoid having the brick work in the background. Her veil appears to be blown (it might not be as this monitor I have at work is cr*p). If it is, maybe a little more fill would have help balance the illumination?
    4. I like the idea - sitting the bride in a window seat. Problems I see include exposing for the outside (causing the shadows to be just a bit much) and distracting reflections in the window. I'm thinking a little fill here would have relieved the shadow a bit. The detail outside the window doesn't add to the photo - it doesn't do anything to tell us where the photo was taken.
    5. This one I really like. We have detail in the shadows and we can see the outside to detail to provide some context to the shot.
    6. This is a good start on the idea. The only real issue I see is that you have the bride half in the sunlight and half in shadow. The result is that a large portion of the bodice of her gown is blown or nearly blown and you have a hot spot on the left side of her neck and left ear.
    7. Well done. It appears you have the focus on the near eye - where it belongs and you have a wonderful expression. I like this!
    8. Focus on the flowers? If that's you intent (and nothing wrong with that) than this was well executed. I might like to see the lower-right corner darkened a bit to reduce the distraction of the sunlight on her gown.

Thank you Scott, this helps me out a lot :D
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    #1 is definitely my favorite, I love the colors and her placement. You composed this shot very well! What a lovely subject you have here, and she's obviously very comfortable with you! clap.gif

I must say however I am not a fan of the processing, it seems like you've made them very saturated and contrasty, then added a soft focus filter on top of that. I also see some pretty intense high pass filter? I would suggest choosing one mindset/approach and running with that, as the combination is somewhat contradictory, and isn't doing the more feminine images justice.

I think Scott has given you some great technical aspects to think about next time, but I think with a lighter touch on the processing these have a lot of potential! this of course is a matter of personal taste, but I hope the feedback helps!

Thanks for your comments and suggestionsthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2007
    bham wrote:
    I think I see where you were going with #4 & #5 with the window and natural light but I think if you would have taken a shot from the location that you were in #4 and how she was posed in #5 you would have gotten a great profile image of her with the natural light.

I routinely try to slow down once the bride/model is placed and try to work around them for various angles of the same setup. Many times I am really glad I took the extra 2 or 3 images as those turn out to be the best.

Very unique location, its definitely different than what you would usually see in a bridal portrait location.

Thanks for the comments and tips!
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2007
    Hi, Deadeye008

I like the #2 photo the best.bowdown.gif

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options