Does this flash?

SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited November 20, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm baaaaaaack! I went back to lurking for a while due to some travel opportunities but now I'm back and I've decided to throw this one up against the wall to see if it will stick. Tell me what you think. Does it say "flash" to you?

I shot this at a USNavy Change of Command ceremony last weekend and this one is straight out of the camera. I had my AlienBees setup about 40 feet from the stage where the ceremony took place. This shot was a test to see if my manual exposures were working with the AB's.

Military Bling
223427501-L.jpg

Comments

• pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    SaltFork wrote:
    I'm baaaaaaack! I went back to lurking for a while due to some travel opportunities but now I'm back and I've decided to throw this one up against the wall to see if it will stick. Tell me what you think. Does it say "flash" to you?

I shot this at a USNavy Change of Command ceremony last weekend and this one is straight out of the camera. I had my AlienBees setup about 40 feet from the stage where the ceremony took place. This shot was a test to see if my manual exposures were working with the AB's.

Military Bling
    222564727-L.jpg

I can't see the image you are talking about. Was it embedded?
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Not showing up for me, either. ne_nau.gif
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    It says HOT flash to me..Laughing.gif

Seriously, it does say Flash and LOTS of SUN..cuz the white on the glove is almost washed out and a couple of the medals have no detail, and this is usually what happens when it is not a Low Flash Fill...But I was just wondering what is the "gray" splotch on the coat....did you clone, or try burning or do composite work and forgot to brush over that area??
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    I like your concept but would like to see it cropped tighter to eliminate the visual pull of the neck area to the top left of the photo. Stirring photo for those of us who appreciate the sacrifices made by those who serve our country. Well done.

I met a mother of a fallen soldier in the airport last week. She is an amazing lady and my conversation nearly brought me to tears of gratitude.
  • SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    shatch wrote:
    I like your concept but would like to see it cropped tighter to eliminate the visual pull of the neck area to the top left of the photo. Stirring photo for those of us who appreciate the sacrifices made by those who serve our country. Well done.

I met a mother of a fallen soldier in the airport last week. She is an amazing lady and my conversation nearly brought me to tears of gratitude.

Steve,
    Thanks for your comments. Ditto on "appreciating the sacrifices." The Change of Command ceremony was very moving - very patriotic.

I've tried your suggestion on cropping but I'm not sure I like it. I agree that the neck in the upper left draws your eye - but in some ways it makes it more real.... more personal. I think the cropped version looks more like a collection pinned to a piece of cloth.... and then there's that disembodied hand holding the sword...

Showing the little bit of neck allows the background with its bright color to come into play. The strong background coupled with the deep blue of the uniform help provide context and emotional impact -- at least for me.

ne_nau.gif More thoughts?

Cropped Version w/ slight exposure mod per Tentacion (Thanks Donna!)
    223679035-L.jpg
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    The big advantage you have over anyone here is you were there and felt the emotion of the event. Your comments are spot on. I think you should go with your heart and replicate the emotion as you "see" it. It is a great shot. And also, with the crop I miss the flag not being in the background.