Another Pretty Renny -- Hopefully better shot

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited November 21, 2007 in People
To all those who commented on pretty Ren Lady #1 -- thanks, especially including the two more critical posters (I guess we could call them Harsh and tactful but both quite valuable).

This one was a bit of a metering challenge under a shade tree on a super bright day. Despite my rookie results, I STILL think the effort worthwhile.

85767774.jpg
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    John:

A much better shot (it's in focus!) though the background kind of drags it down. Next time, maybe try for a leafy background and use a wide open aperature to sort of blur the background and draw more attention to the subject. Lovely subject and composition this time though. This one seems less snapshot and a little more thought on capturing a decent image.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Thanks for the advice Pete and you're correct that this one had more thought behind it.

I will tell you that a blurred DOF is tough to get on an S5 unless I'm at a fairly long Tele setting. In this case the path was way too close to the subject so blurring the background would be done in PP (which is also not a bad idea).

Thanks again.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    She looks pretty familiar.

Taken February 2007 in Arizona
    132444804-L.jpg
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    To all those who commented on pretty Ren Lady #1 -- thanks, especially including the two more critical posters (I guess we could call them Harsh and tactful but both quite valuable).

This one was a bit of a metering challenge under a shade tree on a super bright day. Despite my rookie results, I STILL think the effort worthwhile.

Subject was well shot but it appears things are growing out of her head. A more nuetral background or blurred out perhaps.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • DJTHEMACDJTHEMAC Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Much better!! Good composition and set up! thumb.gif
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Dof
    I will tell you that a blurred DOF is tough to get on an S5 unless I'm at a fairly long Tele setting.
    Couldn't you just set it to Av and set your aperture to 2.7? That should narrow your DOF some.

And I agree, while both ladies are feasts for the eyes, this is a MUCH better photo. I guess it's hard to look past such a fetching subject to check out your background, but that's one of the sacrifices you have to make to improve as a photographer.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Thanks to all for the comments. It's how I plan to keep learning. Also, AAron I think we got the same lady. She must be a traveler.

Just for the hell of it, here's a NOT so pretty renny using handheld panning from about 200' away. He kind of reminds me of Jack Nicholson in the Shining poster. Please feel free to rip this one up also. I am truly getting a lesson as well as an earful.

85767939.jpg
  • SnarcherSnarcher Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    i love those outfits
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007

85767774.jpg
    Hmmm...I wonder if I'm one of those critics you are referring to? Anyway, this is so much better than the last one that there's almost no comparison. The entire scene is in focus and the background is a huge improvement on the previous. You do have that vertical something growing out of her head. Had you taken one more step to your left, you would have removed that as a detractor.

Well done. She is a very pretty lady!