Release, Mumbai street

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited November 22, 2007 in Landscapes
223694088-M-0.jpg

A pigeon flew into telephone wires crossing about thirty feet above this street in Mumbai. One wing tangled in a wire. It hung by that wing, flapping the other ineffectually and contorting its body to try to free itself. Soon it was noticed by a couple of stall keepers below. They gathered underneath and stood looking up at the bird. This attracted the attention of some men passing by. The group grew to about a dozen men who quickly became a team intent on rescuing the bird. They began to discuss and argue about the method until a long pole was brought. It didn't reach the bird. Then one of the men went to a large tree close by which overhung the street and whose branches reached out towards where the bird struggled suspended over the group. Up he climbed, and cautiously out on thinning branches towards the bird. The pole was passed up to him. Propping himself against the bending branches he reached out with the pole whose weight threatened to unbalance him. He was able to lay the end of the pole on the wire which held the bird and slide it towards the bird. When he could get the pole no nearer the bird he began to jiggle the wire with it. Suddenly the wire snapped and the bird fell still entangled to the street. The man in the photo picked the bird up and with patient tender care worked the bird's wing free from the wire, all the other men crowding in to see. He then held the bird for a moment in his hands before releasing it with a gesture like he was offering it to the sky. Other hands involuntarily mirrored the act of release. The bird found its balance and strength and flew up and away. And from each man came a sigh of wonder at the beautiful thing they had done.
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Very interesting and touching story; the expressions on the men's faces are superb and varied; some show concern, some relief, and some pure concentration - an excellent study in faces with expression. You hit the shutter button at the right time.

My other small comment is that the centre of interest (the bird) is only partly in the frame. That being said, at moments like this, I realize that thinking of everything is very difficult, and not sure I would have captured it myself. Perhaps this is one reason I really like my wide angle zoom; I can change the limits of the image very quickly.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    Yes, I got the moment, but missed the bird! I regret it less now. But would be a little more expert now, too! I could argue that with more of the bird the shot would be too literal and less tight and psychological. I like the movement into abstract that's happening on the right edge.

You make an important point about creating as many options as possible when shooting.

Thanks for your comments.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2007
    For me, the picture is still very effective when given with that beautiful story, even if the bird isn't really seen. clap.gif
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose