of rust and ruin

mANVILmANVIL Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited November 21, 2007 in Landscapes
One of my favorite parts of the country is the former industrial sections of Western PA, Northern WV, Eastern OH. This area is riddled with small towns like mini relics to an era that is far past its prime. Many of these towns grew up around a factory that has since closed. These factories can be like timecapsules to the past.
town01.jpg

steel31.jpg

steel32.jpg

steel33.jpg

steel35.jpg

steel36.jpg

steel39.jpg

steel42.jpg

steel43.jpg

steel47.jpg
steel48.jpg

steel53.jpg

steel46.jpg

steel49.jpg

steel55.jpg

steel56.jpg

steel57.jpg

steel58.jpg

steel59.jpg

steel61-1.jpg

steel62-1.jpg

steel28.jpg

steel27.jpg

steel26.jpg

steel25.jpg

steel23.jpg

steel20.jpg

steel17.jpg

steel16.jpg

steel14.jpg

steel12.jpg

steel11.jpg

steel08.jpg

steel07.jpg

steel06.jpg

steel62.jpg

steel61.jpg

air polution left over from decades of industrialism makes for some very dramatic sunsets : )
sunset01.jpg

Comments

• hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    One word: fantastic!
  • ArchiTexasArchiTexas Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Wow. What a place, and what an amazing series of images! Can you provide a link to an online gallery where we can admire more of these shots?
    http://erfphotoart.com

Olympus E510 and Gigapan mount
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Two Words: GREAT LIGHT!!! clap.gif

Are these places wide open to the public or is there a little fence hopping involved? I wish I had access to places like this out west.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 20, 2007
    what a fantastic set of photos, they really tell a story! bit of a sad story, all those rusty tools and forgotten molds/equipment, but a good trip nonetheless!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Yeah yeah yeah I'm biased but.... thumb.gifthumb

This area didn't happen to have a great little dive bar with old ladies selling soup for charity, did they? lol3.gif
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    For some drugs or alcohol get them going, but for me decaying factories are intoxicating. Wow, I need more more more!
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    I really like the series. I like the stacks of molds #14, and the hanging templates #15. It's like production just ended one day. Someone came in and said "Ok, turn it off, go home". Makes you think. I also like the scale shot #5, "Detecto". Thanks for sharing.
    Growing with Dgrin

• speedracer04speedracer04 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    wow i would love to go take photos there.

i really like the beer and hat photo and the desk photo. i think i like the desk photo best of all. great job
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    Add me to the list of people that really like these photos. It almost looks like it wasn't planned to abandon the plant, it just happened.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
  • kelsowkelsow Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    Very nicely done, I love to see pix like this.
  • mANVILmANVIL Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    Thanks for the compliments everyone. This place holds extra sentiment for me because my grandfather worked here 50-60 years ago. The facility which started as a foundry and ended as a casting plant finally shut down in 1984 and has sat like this for the last 23 years. The site is not open to the public. Similar factories in cities like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Cleveland have been demolished or transformed into lofts, condos, retail/office space etc..as those cities see technology jobs start to replace the manufacturing ones. The smaller towns have seen little of this economic revival and hence places like this are abandoned with little prospect of revitalization. The property value here is worth next to nothing with high crime rates and houses selling for under 15,000$ in many cases.

ArchiTexas - These are all the shots I've processed from this particular location. I spend A LOT of time doing this and have a huge backlog of pictures and stories I need to go through. When I do I'll make sure to post here since you guys seem to enjoy them.

Schmoo - why yes, there was a bar not far from here with old ladies selling jars of soup for a 1$. I got 2. :D