Options

Monitor Resolution/Video Card, Help!

Aaron JorsAaron Jors Registered Users Posts: 470 Major grins
edited November 22, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I recently purchased a new computer that has a EVGA nVidia GeForce 7300 GS video card.

Found Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130270

According to the specs here the video card has a max resolution of 2048x1536. I currently only have a 19" monitor which resolution is 1280x1024. However when I go to choose the screen resolution I am not offered a resolution that is any larger.

My question is am I missing something here or when I get a larger monitor will larger resolution options show up?

Comments

• Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2007
    Aaron Jors wrote:
    However when I go to choose the screen resolution I am not offered a resolution that is any larger.
    any larger than what? and what monitor do you have?
    My question is am I missing something here or when I get a larger monitor will larger resolution options show up?
    if the monitor will support it, yes you should. when you're shopping for monitors, check not only the physical size (you say "a larger monitor") but also it's max resolution; you'll probably want it to be at least the 2048x1536 that your video card can do.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2007
    Steve Im not quite sure I understand your response. I currently have a 19" monitor (not widescreen) which has a resolution of 1280x1024 and everything works just fine. I am looking at getting a 24" widescreen monitor which has a resolution of 1920x1200.

My question is that currently when using my 19" monitor I am not able to select a resolution any larger than 1280x1024 and no the monitor can't support any more than that but the option still isn't there. If I get the 24" monitor will that open up the option to select a larger resolution?

Im not sure what 2048x1536 comes out to but I would imagine that is a 30+" monitor which is not in the cards.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2007
    resolution doesn't always equate directly to size; you can have a 19" display that only supports 1024x768 or you could have a 19" display that has a much higher resolution. the higher rez one would just pack it's pixels closer togerther (and cost more, of course :D)

assuming the drivers are all working correctly, the OS will only show you the options that the hardware can really support, so yes if you get a display that can handle higher rez than you'd see that option available.

i hope this helps
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2007
    Thanks Steve thats exactly what I wanted to know.