Options

Using old film lenses on DSLR

RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
edited November 25, 2007 in Technique
I'm a noob and I'm just learning, but i can't seem to get a straight answer on this topic. I want to get some older film lenses to use on my D40 dslr. I know for a fact that the D40 will accept any Nikon (or nikon mount) lens from 1959 and on... however, things such as autofocus and exposure will need to be adjusted manually as they will not meter correctly.

So my question is, since i'll be setting the apature and shutter speed manually... i'm dealing with two things that can control the apature... 1 is the camera and the 2 is the lens...

I can set the apature in the camera, but what do i set the lens at ? do i leave it wide open or the same as i set the camera or what ?...

or do i do it the other way, do i control the apature via the apature ring on the lens ? if so, what do i set my camera apature at ?

and i guess the only way to control shutter speed is via the camera manual setting...

am i missing something here ??? :dunno :scratch :dunno :scratch :dunno

Thanks for the help ! :thumb

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 22, 2007
    Raphy,

As you said, Non AF lenses will NOT autofocus so you will need to focus the lens manually.

Most of the older Nikon lenses will not automatically stop down when you press the shutter, and thus you will have to manually close the aperture from the viewing aperture used to look through the viewfinder, and the shooting aperture - the aperture chosen for the proper exposure at the instant of shutter release.

Originally all lenses for SLRs were called Pre Set lenses. You manually opened the aperture all the way to look through the lens and to focus. Then, before pressing the shutter you would rotate the aperture ring to the proper aperture for the needed exposure. Pre set lenses would then open themselves back up, but originally one had to re-open the aperture by hand also.

I think you can shoot the D40 in either manual or AV mode. In Manual you set the lens aperture and the shutter speed on the camera, but the lens aperture setting will not be transferred to the lens, so you must set it there by hand as well.

In Av mode, I think the camera will choose the correct shutter speed once you have stopped the lens down prior to exposure.

If I am mistaken, hopefully Ziggy or other Nikon shooters will feel free to correct my errors.

I think the D40 lacks the mechanical connection to control the aperture on the older Nikon lenses, but as I said, I shoot white lenses so my knowledge of the D40 is limited to what I read on the web somewhere.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    In Manual you set the lens aperture and the shutter speed on the camera, but the lens aperture setting will not be transferred to the lens, so you must set it there by hand as well.
    Thanks pathfinder for your response.... so basically if i get a lens and i manually focus it and choose an apeture of say f/4 on the lens itself (via apeture ring), then on the actual camera, (in manual mode) i will choose the same apature and a shutter speed of my choice .... correct ?

So as long as the apature on the lens matches the apature i set in the camera body, i should be good to go, yes ??
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 22, 2007
    Raphy,

I own a similar Zeiss lens that I can use on a Canon body - it is manual focus, and I must stop the aperture down to shoot. I leave the camera body in Av mode, as the meter will set the proper shutter speed when the lens is stopped down to the shooting aperture, and I believe this is true of the D40 as well.

I do not have to set the aperture on the camera body and I doubt you do on the D40 either. Maybe we can get a Nikon shooter to verify this for you.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited November 23, 2007
    Apparently, the Nikon D40 will only meter with AF-S, AF-I, AF-D, AF and P lenses. All other lenses require the use of an external meter or you guess the exposure by the conditions.

Only AS-S and AF-I lenses will autofocus on that body.

If you want to use Nikon manual focus lenses, your best bet is the D200 or D2 series cameras. Anything else will be pretty frustrating, IMHO.

From Nikon:

D40

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25420

"Compatible Lenses*1: Nikon F mount with AF coupling and AF contacts Type G or D AF Nikkor
    1) AF-S, AF-I: All functions supported
    2) Other Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus
    3) PC Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D: Can only be used in mode M; all other functions supported except autofocus
    4) Other AF Nikkor*1/AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II
    5) Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster
    6) IX Nikkor lenses cannot be used
    *1. Excluding lenses for F3AF"

D200

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25235

"Compatible Lenses: All AF-DX, AF-D, AF-G, AF-I, AF-S, and AF VR Nikkor lenses provide full AF and metering operation. AI-P lenses provide manual focus w/ electronic rangefinder and full metering operation. AI lenses provide manual focus w/ electronic rangefinder, Aperture Priority and Manual exposure mode, C/W and Spot metering operation."
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    and and old lens could possibly damage your new body. google it.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2007
    photodoug wrote:
    and and old lens could possibly damage your new body. google it.

doug and ziggy... i think you guys are missing my point...

I know for a fact that the D40 will accept old lenses and there are no problems... I also know that they will not autofocus, or meter... i'm fine with that...

what i'm asking is about setting the apeture...on the lens or on the camera ?....

It seems i got my answer on a flickr group discussion...so here it is in case anyone is interested:

THanks for those who replied!

"In manual mode, with an old, non-CPU lens -- or with no lens, or with a modified bodycap/pinhole lens, etc. -- you won't be able to set the aperture on the camera, only on the lens. " clap.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited November 23, 2007
    Raphy wrote:

I know for a fact that the D40 will accept old lenses and there are no problems... I also know that they will not autofocus, or meter... i'm fine with that...

what i'm asking is about setting the apeture...on the lens or on the camera ?....

It seems i got my answer on a flickr group discussion...so here it is in case anyone is interested:

"In manual mode, with an old, non-CPU lens -- or with no lens, or with a modified bodycap/pinhole lens, etc. -- you won't be able to set the aperture on the camera, only on the lens. " clap.gif

Since the camera cannot set or even sense the aperture of a manual lens, yes you will have to set the aperture on the lens.

Typically you focus wide open, then stop the lens down to take the shot. At least it looks like the camera should assist in finding focus for many lenses.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    Raphy wrote:

point taken and understood....but my point speaks to the possible physical damage you'll do to your body by mounting old glass: no need to set aperature or speed after that! :D
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2007
    I understand - thanks guys ! thumb.gif