Options

SD card in Adobe Bridge

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited November 27, 2007 in Finishing School
Had company and was going to make a cd of some photos they had taken, but the SD card wouldn't read in Adobe Bridge.

Anyone know why? I put my CF card in and it works fine.

Dogdots/Mary

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 24, 2007
    I think the problem is probably not in Bridge, but in your card reader or operating system somewhere.

You did not specify the brand of SD card or the brand and model of the card reader, not the computer and its operating system. How was the SD card formatted? And how large was the SD card - not all readers can read the new larger SD cards also.

I know that I can read SD cards from my G9 routinely on all my macs - desktop, laptop, mini, etc with a Sandisk USB 2 card reader. I just drag the icon of the SD card onto the Bridge icon, and bingo, there are the files in Bridge.

Try a different card reader, because Bridge certainly should see the files in a recognized drive format.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2007
    Pathfinder thanks for the info I will try that. I didn't think that Bridge would have a problem with the card.

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2007
    Card readers can be flaky, especially from the smaller, lesser known brands. They need to be USB 2.0

That is just my experience over the years.

I find that I have better luck with Sandisk and Lexar, than many others ( just like the CF cards themselves too) Sony seems to work well also.

• Options
    edited November 24, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Card readers can be flaky, especially from the smaller, lesser known brands. They need to be USB 2.0

I find that I have better luck with Sandisk and Lexar, than many others ( just like the CF cards themselves too) Sony seems to work well also.

I know what you mean. And this was an off brand I hadn't heard about. But then I don't know many other then Sandisk and Lexar which I use.

I hope to play with it some tonight.

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think the problem is probably not in Bridge, but in your card reader or operating system somewhere.
    Undoubtedly correct, as Bridge doesn't need to know anything about the reader. You didn't say whether you were Windows or Mac. On Windows, you can open the card reader in Explorer (i.e., from the operating system) and see what happens. If it sees files (with non-zero length), then Bridge should also. I'm sure there's a similar procedure on the Mac.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2007
    Thank-you's to everyone for your help. I was playing around with my old point and shoot with its SanDisk card and it works in Bridge :ivar

My brother-in-laws memory card was an off brand that I had never heard of before.

When I put in my SanDisk it opened in Bridge and then with Windows and filed it into Zoombrowser---which I never use, but that is ok.

I was really worried for awhile because I thought I really had messed up something big time, but cheap will do what cheap usually
    does....not work :D

Thanks again
    Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:

I just purchased from Circuit City, yesterday, a current Sony USB2.0 card reader for CF and SD. It reads CF and 2 Gb SD cards just fine, but when I try a new Toshiba 4Gb SD card I do not see it recognized anywhere on my Mac.

The same exact Toshiba 4 Gb SD HC card in my Sandisk card reader is instantly recognized and read.

Like I said, they can be flaky, especially with the newer, larger SD cardsne_nau.gif

• Options
    edited November 27, 2007
    I wonder what kind of quirk causes that headscratch.gif I know I find it very annoying.

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2007
    Mary,

I am certain that there is a geekspeak explanation for this behaviour, but I'll be darned if I know what it is.

It seems to be one of those mysteries of life -

I bought the Sony reader based on a generally positive impression of the Sony trademark. Well, that impression has been lowered more than slightly now:D

• Options
    edited November 27, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Mary,

I am certain that there is a geekspeak explanation for this behaviour, but I'll be darned if I know what it is.

It seems to be one of those mysteries of life -

I bought the Sony reader based on a generally positive impression of the Sony trademark. Well, that impression has been lowered more than slightly now:D

Geekspeak explanation--sometimes I think they talk themselves in
    circles rolleyes1.gif

Sony is good for stereos, but maybe not camera stuff. I know someone who has the Sony Alpha....wishes he had gotten the Canon Rebel instead. And he buys everything that has the label Sony on it except its stock :D

Dogdots/Mary