Options

Twins, window light

Joe LynchJoe Lynch Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited November 24, 2007 in People
Olympus E-3, 14-54 lens, shot at 1000 EI, f'/5.6 last Sunday. Can't wait to do some more of these two (friend's grandkids).

http://joelynch.smugmug.com/gallery/3871280#224293206

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Joe

Comments

• Options
    hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Adorable. I'm working on the family to get an e-3, what did you use before? How do you like it?
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2007
    hamster wrote:
    Adorable. I'm working on the family to get an e-3, what did you use before? How do you like it?

Hamster--Thanks for looking.

I have an E-500 that I like very much. The E-3 is heavier and better at low light but I will continue to use the E-500 in good light. I've only had the E-3 a week, but these were some of the first shots I took with it last weekend. Moved the lens, CF card, and battery from the E-500 over to the E-3, set the speed, and started shooting. Not much of a learning curve coming from the E-500. The E-510 has some of the features of the E-3 without the cost and weight.

Joe
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Cute children iloveyou.gif Your shots look a little soft, and few a little dark. Keep shooting and posting! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Let me be one of the first to welcome you to the DGrin club. It's great here...

15524779-Ti.gif, in part, with Marina - All but the first one appear a touch soft. Closer inspection shows that it's a focus point issue. For example, The second one (of the girl), the focus is the tip of her nose rather than one of her eyes. In the last one (the boy on the floor), the focus point is the lettering on his shirt rather than his face.

All of that aside, I think these are great.

Thanks for sharing - I would have liked to have looked at others of yours, but you have all your other photos marked private and I can't :cry
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2007
    Scot and Marina--thanks for the comments, which I agree with. Problem with these kids is that they move pretty quickly and I was slow to react.

On the last shot, I was laughing instead of focusing.

I'll get some more practice today. Practice and critique like you gave me is what I need. Thanks.

Joe
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2007

Thanks for sharing - I would have liked to have looked at others of yours, but you have all your other photos marked private and I can't :cry

Scott--Here is a Yellowstone gallery that I just made public. These were with an E-500.
    http://joelynch.smugmug.com/gallery/3568548#202427927 The elk shot from a raft is my favorite.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 23, 2007
    cute kids-

I like the keyboard surfer-
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Joe Lynch wrote:
    Scott--Here is a Yellowstone gallery that I just made public. These were with an E-500.
    http://joelynch.smugmug.com/gallery/3568548#202427927 The elk shot from a raft is my favorite.
    These bring back so many memories. I used to live about 90 miles from the Gardner gate. I spent a lot of time there when I was going through school. It was a lot of fun to go through the gate after it closed at night, drive a short distance into the park, climb down to the Gardner river, and soak in the water run-off from the Mamouth Hot Springs. Lots of fun. With litigation being what it is, I doubt you can do that any more.

15524779-Ti.gif - that's very, very nice.

Another of yours that is favorite of mine (if you would rather, I can pull this down). I love the still water and the mirror effect you have going there.
    202433638-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2007

Another of yours that is favorite of mine (if you would rather, I can pull this down). I love the still water and the mirror effect you have going there.

Scott--No problem putting up the pic. There must have been 100 people out there that morning but they were all down by the road trying to get the mountains in the reflection rather than the trees. I went up the embankment and saw what I liked a lot better for the semi hazy day.

This was my first trip to Yellowstone. I was overwhelmed, but managed to get a few good shots.
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    next to focussing, some of your shots seem blurred by movement of the subject.

i know this makes focussing even harder but with your lens, you could use a bigger aperature of say f/3,5 and you would have better shutter speeds, meaning less motion blurr. might be worth trying. ne_nau.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2007
    Yep, I'll try a higher EI and get a little faster shutter speed, plus be a little more careful with the focus. Just hard to do with kids that move this fast. Practice, practice, practice.

Joe