no idea...

davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
edited November 24, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I shoot a lot in nightclubs and I do ambient all the time.
f/5.0 1/25 ISO800 70-300mmVR at 180mm Handheld. (thank you VR)

#1:Don't know if this is a contender but I like the shot. (Izzy Cox and Soda)

224483562-L-1.jpg

#2: Why you don't want to use flash (La Putain avec Les Fleurs)
Exif Info here:
224568098-L-1.jpg
#3: I'm not big on submitting a clown pic but sometimes they do work.

224568321-M.jpghttp://davidweaver.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=224705391

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    #2 is a clear choice to me but then again it may have something to do with my fear of clowns.....
  • awmphotoawmphoto Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    I have to agree with Travis #2 stands out and the only thing I could suggest is many cutting out some of the dead space on the top? Overall, I like it!
    awmphoto.smugmug.com
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Love #2, fantastic contender IMO!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    I like all three shots, but #1 moves me the most.

Virginia

Email
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    I think I prefer 3... the emotion comming from his expression is intense... the eyes are great in this shot...

Winston
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    I love the second photo. This one really stood out for me in the entry thread, and it made me grin. It might be my bias of having been in the theatre for a while, but really, the composition and lighting in this shot are wonderfully well done. thumb.gif I just love the vaudeville/carnival feel I get from this one.
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I love the second photo. This one really stood out for me in the entry thread, and it made me grin. It might be my bias of having been in the theatre for a while, but really, the composition and lighting in this shot are wonderfully well done. thumb.gif I just love the vaudeville/carnival feel I get from this one.

Thank you. I like them all.

As I think about the contest and reread and reread and reread the "rules" I find that I am more drawn to submitting #2. The theme is 'Flash or Ambient'. Since photography is all about light you either have flash or ambient or both.

Now, how do you cull an image from your collection to fit the theme. For me, I need to focus on one of the themes (also a suggestion from Shay) and display a photograph that not only is a 'good' picture but one that says ambient, or flash.

I really like the interaction and emotion between Izzy and Soda on #1 and the sweat on Soda's face. The lighting is rather simple. It's ambient but it doesn't say that. It's a good pic but does it really attempt to answer the theme?

On #3, the expression, particularly the eyes, is what I like and there is a nice uneven light. This pic better addresses the theme than #1.

After thinking about this for a couple days the best entry from this set, is #2. In this one, the lighting enhances the subjects and picture, the actors are the primary focus of the picture. Secondary subjects are the foot lighting. The lighting also tells some piece of the story in the picture.

Who knows what the judges will select. I find that placing a few images up for review, gives me time to focus and reflect on the contest and get some valuable feedback from other dgrinners.

Thank you for commenting and looking :-)

Cheers,
    David