Rainy Afternon

224591955-L-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Virginia

Email

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 23, 2007
    "Ambient Light refers to any light in a given scene that isn't artificial light, light supplied by the photographer. Sunlight, candlelight or light emanating from surrounding lamps can produce ambient light in a photograph."

http://www.photography.com/topics/ambient-light/

I love the lunch photo, but I'm a sucker for bw pic, and it holds my interest with the eating diner, the looking-over-the-glasses diner, and what looks to be some type of photos on either side of the special-of-the-day board-

the grain is a nice touch, but my guess is that most of the judges are probably not too high on this kind of effect-

the sun to go down photo is great with it's repeating columns and arches and shadows, and is a very nice photo about light-

the winter in the air photo is lovely, but not so much about light-

my thoughts, fwiw-

whatever you enter, good luck!-
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Waiting for the Sun to Go Down thumb.gif I really like the abstract feel of the repeating patterns, light and shadow. The rest are nice but this one really stood out for me.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Thanks George and Travis. I count that as two votes for the latern picture. Your input is very much appreciated.

Virginia

Email
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Winter in the Air clap.gif

I like the bw feeling with a touch of color in the second row trees... deal.gif Very moody! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited November 23, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Winter in the Air clap.gif

I like the bw feeling with a touch of color in the second row trees... deal.gif Very moody! thumb.gif

Thanks, Nik. I like the photo too. It captues the way it looked and conveys the way the air felt at the time I took it. But I think maybe George has a good point - does it address the theme strongly enough?

Love your entry, btw.

Virginia

Email
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Thanks, Nik. I like the photo too. It captues the way it looked and conveys the way the air felt at the time I took it. But I think maybe George has a good point - does it address the theme strongly enough?

Love your entry, btw.

Virginia

I don't think mine addresses it any more than yours..ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 23, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I don't think mine addresses it any more than yours..ne_nau.gif

I really like both the lunch photo and the trees photo-

I guess I really don't know how to take what lps16 is about-

when they said flash or ambient my first thought was, 'that just about covers everything, doesn't it?'-

so, like I said, my thoughts, fwiw-
  • awmphotoawmphoto Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    My favorite is definitely "when the sun goes down" the orange light and the columns really work here I think.
    awmphoto.smugmug.com
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:

I guess I really don't know how to take what lps16 is about-

LMAO.

I don't know how to take any LPS! rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Winter in the Air. Very nice.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Winter in the Air is flat-out gorgeous!

But to me it doesn't say "flash" or "ambient." ne_nau.gif

But the photo that does have nice ambient light in it is Waiting for the Sun to Go Down. The light in that photo has a nice warm, golden hue that casts a lovely glow on the arches. The shadows add a nice touch but to me, the light still dominates the composition.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    I like the Parisian Lunch....something about it reminds me of Paris..and it has a vintage look.

and for some other strange reason...the other one that catches my eyes...is the "Day Begins"...except it appears just slightly off tilt. I keep wanting to know what is going on over there...Laughing.gif:D
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited November 24, 2007
    I agree with you George. Ambient and flash includes just about everything. So, in a way, the competition is wide open. Still, the theme does make one thinik about light and how we use it so I can see the point of favoring an entry in which the light is an obvious part of what gives the photograph its character.

Thanks, Linda, for your thoughtful observations. I'm glad you like the trees in the Tuileries Gardens. For me, it is definitely a keeper.

Thank you too, PyroPrints and awmphoto, for sharing your picks. Of course, you have added to my dilemna by making different choices. rolleyes1.gif

Donna - I love that you like the lunch picture. It is my favorite. I was really pleased that you picked up on the vintage feel. I kept thinking that the same picture could have been taken in the 1940s or 1950s - probably in the same small restaurant on the rue St Honoré. For me, the treatment completes the story of the photograph. Take that, Noise Ninja.:rambo

Virginia

Email
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    I like Across the Street and Waiting for the Sun to Go Down. For the first, my only wish is the window weren't flush up against the left side of the frame. Otherwise, I just love the color, glow, and composition in this one. The latter one captures the theme spot on, without need for adjustment. Me gusta mucho. thumb.gif
    edited November 24, 2007
    Thanks mucho for the comments, Kerry. Across the Street was hard to frame. The building itself is very uninteresting and casement windows have little character. I tried all sorts of crops etc. and came up with this one. I will try recropping with a bit of the (boring) building to the left as well as the right to see if I like it better. Meanwhile, I appreciate your comments on Waiting for the Sun to Go Down.

Virginia

Email