One mean bull...

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited November 28, 2007 in Sports
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been really busy :thumb

These pics are from the PAFRA (Professional Armed Forces Rodeo Assoc.) World Finals in Ft. Worth, TX.

Just a series of shots of one ride. (No motor drive shots from me :nono )

Some of the bulls are particularly mean, and know what those horns are for :huh

Blowing up out of the chute
224686868-L.jpg

Nothin' doing...
224687086-L.jpg

This bull fighter looks like fun, think I'll give him a go...
224687212-L.jpg

Say hello to the Space Shuttle while your up there :huh

This bull threw the bull fighter up about 12'. I caught him at this point in his flight. The bull then turned and threw the other bull fighter about 5' in the air, alas, I didn't catch that one :cry
224687382-L.jpg

The bull fighter was not hurt (other than knocked out). Matter of fact, he came over to the table and fans were buying pics and he was autographing them.

I told him the pic was OK, but would have been better if he would have been smiling and tipped his hat in flight :rofl :rofl :rofl

He said "Well, I WAS smiling"

These guys are what tough really is :thumb

On a side note:
I had just finished loading all the lights in my vehicle when I heard something coming down the alley. I turned to look, and when I turned, a steer (about +/- 500 lbs) was about 1.5' beside me running down the alley towing a cowboy via the rope the cowboy had thrown around the steers neck.

Turned out the steer got out of the arena and a cowboy roped him, but obviously couldn't stop him on foot, and was all he could do to just hold on to the rope.

An EMT was coming over to talk with me when this happened. After the steer/cowboy ran by I turned to the EMT and just said "well, this IS Texas". :rofl :rofl :rofl
Randy

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Spectacular photos & great exposure...thumb.gif
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Spectacular photos & great exposure...thumb.gif

Thanks gus,

Bull riding is always fun to shoot.
    Randy
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    I had the opportunity to take clients from France to the CFR this year. My first rodeo. It was AMAZING!

Love these shots - fabulous action!

And a great story to boot.

Thanks for sharing

ann
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    I really like the title 'bullfighter' over 'rodeo clown'. They are so critical to bull riding. I know that the small town rodeos here in Washington where I sometimes shoot (and dance, and whoop, and holl'r) still call them rodeo clowns though. Watching a bull do his stuff is remarkable. Thanks for sharing your arena shots, and stories.
    Growing with Dgrin

edited November 23, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I had the opportunity to take clients from France to the CFR this year. My first rodeo. It was AMAZING!

Love these shots - fabulous action!

And a great story to boot.

Thanks for sharing

ann

Thanks for your comments Ann.

There's always something strange going to happen at a rodeo/bull riding event. You just hope that it doesn't happen to you rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited November 23, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    I really like the title 'bullfighter' over 'rodeo clown'. They are so critical to bull riding. I know that the small town rodeos here in Washington where I sometimes shoot (and dance, and whoop, and holl'r) still call them rodeo clowns though. Watching a bull do his stuff is remarkable. Thanks for sharing your arena shots, and stories.

A few years ago the "clowns" rightfully wanted to be known as bullfighters as this is more descriptive of what they do. (as these pictures show). Bullfighters are the toughest of the tough. Everyone knows that bullriders are tough, but they only face 1 or 2 bulls a night. Bullfighters might face 45 bulls that same night. They are selfless with their own safety and purposely put themselves in the sights of the raging bulls to draw the hit away from the bullrider.

These guys are nuts --- but also daily hero's to the bullriders.

The term "clown" is only used now for the funny man in the arena, the fellow with the barrel, and this is slowly being changed to "barrel man". His job is to keep the crowd entertained while there is a holdup in the action.

The bulls
    every bit an athlete, as much as the bullrider and bullfighter. It's amazing to see bulls get into the chute's and start trembling due to their adrenalin. They know exactly what the gig is, and can't wait for the chute to open. To watch 2k lbs. of bull jump and twist --- awesome thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    Wonderful Photos
    thanks for sharing mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • CarlHCarlH Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 24, 2007
    Nice series, Randy. Really tells the story of the bullfighters well. My grandson is a bullrider and he has thanked the bullfighters several times for getting him out of a dangerous situation.

I haven't shot a rodeo since the last part of October and can't wait to get back in the arena, especially since I am now the proud owner of a Canon 70-200mm f2.8L lens. Can't wait to try it out.
    edited November 24, 2007
    Wonderful Photos
    thanks for sharing mwink.gif

Thanks Awais,

glad you enjoyed them.
    Randy
    edited November 24, 2007
    CarlH wrote:
    Nice series, Randy. Really tells the story of the bullfighters well. My grandson is a bullrider and he has thanked the bullfighters several times for getting him out of a dangerous situation.

I haven't shot a rodeo since the last part of October and can't wait to get back in the arena, especially since I am now the proud owner of a Canon 70-200mm f2.8L lens. Can't wait to try it out.

Thanks Carl,

Your grandson is in a "high risk" sport, let's hope the guardians "bullfighters" keep him safe thumb.gif

That lens is the workhorse of the stable. Your gonna love it.
    Randy
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    Whenever I open threads by you, I constantly find myself saying WOW. These days, I open your threads and expect to see perfect exposure. These photos do not deviate from my expectation. You always hit it… Wow.

These are truly spectacular. bowdown.gif

And not only do they hold your interest, but they tell a story as well.

Wonderful. thumb.gif
    edited November 25, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    Whenever I open threads by you, I constantly find myself saying WOW. These days, I open your threads and expect to see perfect exposure. These photos do not deviate from my expectation. You always hit it… Wow.

These are truly spectacular. bowdown.gif

And not only do they hold your interest, but they tell a story as well.

Wonderful. thumb.gif

Geez, I think I'm blushing...

Very nice words you've put upon me, but I'll assure you -- not all my pics "hit it"
    -- I just choose not to post those rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Oh my gosh I am in heaven, cowboys, bulls and roadeo clowns!!!!!