Playing around with soft effect techniques and blend modes today (Senior Pics)

SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited November 26, 2007 in People
Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Cold outside here in Denver with some snow today. Great day to play around in CS3. Messing around with some blending modes and soft effects. Is it too much color???:dunno Kind of like it and wanted to see what you guys think. A senior I took photos of a couple of weeks ago. She has a beautiful smile and great skin.

224694491-L.jpg

Love the tones you get in the BW when you convert it after using the different blending modes and soft effect.

224694412-L.jpg

224694473-L.jpg

224694363-L.jpg

Shane
www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 70-200L IS 2.8

Comments

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Wow Shane these are really gorgeous!

1. I like the composition and perspective of this one, and she has a very relaxed, easy smile. The red/orange in the upper right hand corner is a little distracting.

2. Much prefer the BW version of this! Love the texture of the grass and her skin tone. Very very nice!!! clap.gif

3. Absolutely LOVE this one, the colors/background and her pose work very well! I am not sure she'd be thrilled about her expression, but it's a flattering photograph and has a very modern, fresh feel to it.

4. My favorite expression of the bunch, but I'm not sure the blur/soft focus is working for me here. The background looks like it has some motion blur as well as out of focus? Can't quite put my finger on it.

Great to see you posting again, and that you're doing some client work! Your images never disappoint.

Happy TG!

Lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Thanks Lynne. Your comments are always appreciated.

I am glad to say that my business has taken off in the past month. Mostly sports and custom sports posters. It has also brought alot of other sessions my way as well. Yippee as the cash was needed to pay for my new toys. rolleyes1.gif

I see what you are saying about the last one. I quickly did this one and don't think I reduced the opacity enough on the soft effect layer. When adding a mask to paint back in the areas I didn't do a very good job. Going to redo this one as I love her smile.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • susanbudgesusanbudge Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    A lovely set of images of a very pretty girl. I like the way she has connected with you and it shows through in the shots.
    I also like the black and white version of the first..the tones and textures are very pleasing.
    I agree that her expression in the third isn't the best of the series, but I do so like the colour and dynamics of the photo. It is young and vibrant so I still think she will like it.
    Just a little thing, but when you do your framing, it may help to put a tiny dark stroked edge to the image to prevent it "bleeding" out into the border as it does at the top of the last.
    Great set of images that you must be very pleased with.
    Susan
    edited November 24, 2007
    I meant to ask, what blending modes/techniques did you use...if ou don't mind sharing that is :D
    edited November 24, 2007
    Susan...I see what you mean about the borders. I only use them when I post and not to print. As for the blending stuff, I don't mind sharing at all. I get a magazine "Rangefinder" and in this issue they had some of the steps that a photographer uses for blending. Check out the magazine (lots of good articles) and it is free.

In the article she duplicates the background several times, each time changing the layers blending mode to hard light, multiply, etc. Also she uses masks to paint back in areas on each layer. All in all a final picture adjusting the lightness, darkness and contrast of the image.

As for the soft effect, you duplicate the layer. Go to filter>Other>High Pass. I choose pixels 10 or over. Click ok. Change the layers mode to Soft LIght. Ctrl-I and add a mask to that layer. Set color to black and use a soft brush to paint areas that you do not want the blur. Reduce opacity of that layer as needed.

After that for the senior pics I duplicated the background layer again and placed it on top of the layer palette. Changed the mode to overlay and reduced opacity.

Usually I just play around with them until I get something that I like. Hope this helps.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited November 25, 2007
    Thanks for the link to Rangefinder magazine. I'm going to be kept busy for months going through them! :D Thanks for sharing!
    Susan
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    SitterS wrote:
    Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Cold outside here in Denver with some snow today. Great day to play around in CS3. Messing around with some blending modes and soft effects. Is it too much color???ne_nau.gif Kind of like it and wanted to see what you guys think. A senior I took photos of a couple of weeks ago. She has a beautiful smile and great skin.

Love the tones you get in the BW when you convert it after using the different blending modes and soft effect.
    Shane

Hi Shane,
    Your model is very very attractive,
    I suck a people pictures, this series looks great clap.gif
    Thanks for sharing..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    You seem to have this process nailed down! I love the effects on these, and your pics are beautiful to begin with. The B&W is fabulous, but I really like the color shots, too. You are very talented and creative!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    I really like #1. I've read that article in Rangefinder and can't get results anywhere like this. Kudos to you!!
    edited November 26, 2007
    Thanks Skippy, Elaine and Mitch.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Lovely set!
  • Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    SitterS wrote:
    I get a magazine "Rangefinder" and in this issue they had some of the steps that a photographer uses for blending. Check out the magazine (lots of good articles) and it is free...

As far as critique, I agree with everything that Lynne said. Plus I wanted to say this: your images are sublime. As soon as I read the word "Rangefinder", I left my computer, sprinted up the stairs two at a time to the magazine rack and grabbed my copy of Rangefinder so I could find that article. I can't wait to mess around with those blending modes.
    C and C always welcome.
    edited November 26, 2007
    Mrs F wrote:
    As far as critique, I agree with everything that Lynne said. Plus I wanted to say this: your images are sublime. As soon as I read the word "Rangefinder", I left my computer, sprinted up the stairs two at a time to the magazine rack and grabbed my copy of Rangefinder so I could find that article. I can't wait to mess around with those blending modes.

And to piggy back on this sentiment...I'm thinking of asking for a Rangefinder subscription for Christmas! :D
    Elaine

edited November 26, 2007
    Mrs F wrote:

WOW what a compliment! It is funny that I started learning photography on my own several years ago. I have read so many threads, forums, articles and practiced hard to try to get better. Still have a long way to go. I would reply to others threads, envious of their skills in photography never thinking that one day I would receive as nice of compliments as you guys have given me here. I really appreciate you taking the time to look and reply.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited November 26, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    And to piggy back on this sentiment...I'm thinking of asking for a Rangefinder subscription for Christmas! :D

Hold off on that as it is free or at least I got it for free. Let me go check this out for you and I will let you know for sure. Also there is another one out there that I think is free as well. I think it is After Capture or something like that.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited November 26, 2007
    Here you go Elaine. I think both are free. Now go change that letter to Santa and ask for something elsethumb.gif

http://www.rangefindermag.com/subscribe/

http://www.aftercapture.com/about/9/subscribe-to-aftercapture-magazine

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited November 26, 2007
    SitterS wrote:
    Here you go Elaine. I think both are free. Now go change that letter to Santa and ask for something elsethumb.gif

http://www.rangefindermag.com/subscribe/

http://www.aftercapture.com/about/9/subscribe-to-aftercapture-magazine

Shane

Done! Thanks so much for including the links! :D
    Elaine