The old cowboy

DesertRatDesertRat Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited November 24, 2007 in People
224762662-L.jpg
Looking for adventure in all the wrong places!

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Fantastic lighting & conversion however i was really hoping the photo would suddenly continue loading to show the rest of his face.
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    What an interesting shot! ...oh, that's as far down as it goes... I really want to see more of this interesting "old cowboy's" face.
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    What an interesting shot! ...oh, that's as far down as it goes... I really want to see more of this interesting "old cowboy's" face.

Yup, I agree. An inviting shot-- would just like to see a bit more face.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• susanbudgesusanbudge Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    A promising portrait, you are just teasing us!:D
    Susan
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    I'm fine with the lack of his complete face -- we've all seen a thousand grizzled cowboy's faces, we are capable of imagining the rest, at least in our own way...

That said, the aspect ratio of your frame does make us feel as if you achieved this by a nasty post-production crop. Perhaps that is why the comments have complained that they wish to see the rest. If, on the otherhand, you achieved the same cut-off view but gave us the sense that "this is the entire photo" then I think you would have a much more effective shot.
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • DesertRatDesertRat Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    1pocket wrote:
    I'm fine with the lack of his complete face -- we've all seen a thousand grizzled cowboy's faces, we are capable of imagining the rest, at least in our own way...

That said, the aspect ratio of your frame does make us feel as if you achieved this by a nasty post-production crop. Perhaps that is why the comments have complained that they wish to see the rest. If, on the otherhand, you achieved the same cut-off view but gave us the sense that "this is the entire photo" then I think you would have a much more effective shot.

Could you explain your comments a little better? This was a crop, but showed what I wanted to show.

Mike
  • DesertRatDesertRat Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    Not that old or grizzled.
    224944578-L.jpg
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    That's funny, "old & grizzled" scared him out from his hiding place :D
    Hey, I just noticed I didn't even use the word "old" -- you must of read it in!

My only problem with the shot was that it looked like a crop (apparently because it was). I thought that if the crop was handled to appear more like a full frame, or the shot was originally conceived as full frame that only included the eyes, then it might read as less discomfiting -- that is all...
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • susanbudgesusanbudge Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    I REALLY thought it had failed to load properly! Sorry :-(

Having now seen your second post I can see where you were coming from and like the first post best :-)

Call it a female/senior moment :D

Susan