Options

Ultra Compact Choice? (Narrowed down to Sony vs Nikon)

jeremy3721jeremy3721 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited November 24, 2007 in Cameras
I've been struggling to find the right camera for my girlfriend for Christmas and I thought I'd share the two cameras I've narrowed things down to (Actually ordered both and will have to send one back)

She wants an ultra compact but prefers a pink or red camera (I know :scratch ). I've looked at available models with her a couple of times and she's mentioned that she also liked a large lcd screen.

With those two things in mind and my maximum budget of $200 I've narrowed those choices down to either a Sony Cybershot DSCW80 (for $185 on Amazon) or the Nikon Coolpix S50 (for $179 on J&R). From what I've read the Sony got a little more critical acclaim but I do frown on having to use Sony's Memory Stick although I do have an extra 1gb laying around that was used on my PSP. Both have about the same resolution, same zoom, a form of image stabalization and similar battery packs. I believe the Sony is a little bit of an older model so I'm not sure about the speed. I really hate shutter lag and I did read a review on the Nikon that it's a bit slow.

Can anyone share anything else I might want to consider? I think I found pretty good deals on both cameras but I'm leaning towards keeping the Sony as it looks a little nicer in my opinion and aethetics being important to the girlfriend I have to take that into account.

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    I think in that range ...its a cigarette paper between them re photo quality however one thing many overlook is the software supplied with the camera. I would check out what one offers against the other with the software like red eye reduction etc. It may be almost identical but some are more user friendly than others.
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    prefers a pink or red camera (I know headscratch.gif ).
    sorry, can't help you but that just cracked me up!! rolleyes1.gif thnx! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    some panasonics are 28-100mm
    Not sure if they come in pink or red, but the panasonic Lumix FX30 is a nice, stylish camera, and unlike the two listed has 28-100mm range. That extra width on the wide end would be great for indoor social pics - not sure what your GF will be using the camera for, but if the color is important, I assume this kind of use will be common.

I know some folks who shoot with DSLRs, and picked the Lumix as their P&S for the additional width. Leica lenses, apparently good IQ. My $0.02

Here's a comparison with the two you listed and the FX30
  • Options
    jeremy3721jeremy3721 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    Grainbelt wrote:
    Not sure if they come in pink or red, but the panasonic Lumix FX30 is a nice, stylish camera, and unlike the two listed has 28-100mm range. That extra width on the wide end would be great for indoor social pics - not sure what your GF will be using the camera for, but if the color is important, I assume this kind of use will be common.

I know some folks who shoot with DSLRs, and picked the Lumix as their P&S for the additional width. Leica lenses, apparently good IQ. My $0.02

Here's a comparison with the two you listed and the FX30

thanks for the recommendation. I probably would have jumped at this had I already not ordered two other cameras. They make this in pink but I can't seem to find one in that color for sale online. Otherwise it looks like a very good camera. I really like the wide angle option as well.