Options

Shooting a vertical shot...

D_C_NCD_C_NC Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited November 24, 2007 in Finishing School
So I shoot a vertical shot and then put it in photoshop and then spin it to the way I shot it and it compresses the image. Same as some of the shots I had scanned I spin them clockwise 90 degrees and voila compression.. Can I prevent this ? Or do I just adjust the shot sideways ?

Comments

• Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    What do you mean "compresses?" In size? Your monitor is wider than tall so vertical images don't (and can't) fill the frame.

If you mean JPEG compression... not sure there. I don't shoot JPEG anyway I shoot RAW as it's not lossy compression. Plus my camera will auto-rotate images in camera so they come out properly oriented. You didn't mention what camera you're using.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    What do you mean "compresses?" In size? Your monitor is wider than tall so vertical images don't (and can't) fill the frame.

If you mean JPEG compression... not sure there. I don't shoot JPEG anyway I shoot RAW as it's not lossy compression. Plus my camera will auto-rotate images in camera so they come out properly oriented. You didn't mention what camera you're using.
    I will show you , sorry... Here You Go ( Sony DSC717) 73130016HORIZONTAL.jpg73130016VERTICAL.jpg TOP is actual shot bottom after I turn it upright... This is a scanned image...
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    I assume you're using Image->Rotate Canvas.

Look in the dialog box for Image->Image Size. What are the pixel dimensions (in the top of the dialog box) before and after the operation?
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2007
    jjbong wrote:
    I assume you're using Image->Rotate Canvas.

Look in the dialog box for Image->Image Size. What are the pixel dimensions (in the top of the dialog box) before and after the operation?
    Thanks , they are the same either way. Optical illusion? But , I am not crazy am I , they do look different? I need to make a print , now I need to buy a printer... I just printed a print on my HP all in one and it came out the correct size....
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    D_C_NC wrote:
    I will show you , sorry... Here You Go ( Sony DSC717) TOP is actual shot bottom after I turn it upright... This is a scanned image...

Maybe just an optical illusion. Both images you posted here are 576x376 pixels and 231kb in filesize.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question