LPS16 - Toying with a New Idea

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited November 25, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I posted an entry before I fled home for the holidays, to ensure I had something for this round, but I felt it never quite met the theme as the lighting is flat. So I began toying around with new idea today, and I'd appreciate any feedback before I make the switch. :thumb

1 (Current entry - for reference)
222300977-M.jpg

2 (New concept - full color)
224899961-M.jpg

3 (New concept - slightly sepia)
224899723-M.jpg

Thanks for stopping by! :D

Comments

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    Will you call it... "The cat is out of the bag, and almost out the door"rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

I like your current entry... looks kind of sureal with the red reflecting in the water... flat light is ambient toone_nau.gifD

Winston
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    Will you call it... "The cat is out of the bag, and almost out the door"rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Ha! :D I was actually thinking about "Home from the Holidays" or "Coming Home." mwink.gif

Thanks, Winston. Logically, I know flat light is ambient, but I can't help but also equate it with "boring." Plus, I loves me my stories. deal.gif
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    Do you have any other shots in the #1 group? I'd like to see that collection. I'm fascinated with the liquid-like quality of the leaves on the ground. I ask because #1 seems incomplete to me as a landscape or as an ambient shot.

The Cat pics are good and a good use of light which could be flash or ambient. It might be better for LPS16 but I'm not a judge. ne_nau.gif
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    I like your new photo. The first is beautiful, but the second tells a story which I think pulls the viewer in more. Good luck!
    edited November 24, 2007
    Do you have any other shots in the #1 group? I'd like to see that collection. I'm fascinated with the liquid-like quality of the leaves on the ground. I ask because #1 seems incomplete to me as a landscape or as an ambient shot.

The Cat pics are good and a good use of light which could be flash or ambient. It might be better for LPS16 but I'm not a judge. ne_nau.gif

Thanks, David. I have a few variations on the angle and line-of-sight for #1, but none processed at this point. This view felt the strongest to me (I flipped back and forth between about twenty shots taken across two days). I didn't approach this as a landscape so much as social commentary on the pristine, cookie-cutter landscaping of a nearby neighborhood (and the utterly bizarre way that line of trees all turned the same shade of red at the same time). ne_nau.gif And I realize how stupid I just sounded saying it wasn't a landscape but was about landscaping. rolleyes1.gif

I agree 100% it lacks in ambient lighting--meaning it lacks depth, or actual "ambiance." Though I kind'a like how its flatness gives it an almost fake look.

Feh. Obviously, I'm still torn and way overthinking this.

Thank you so much for your feedback. iloveyou.gif
    edited November 24, 2007
    shatch wrote:
    I like your new photo. The first is beautiful, but the second tells a story which I think pulls the viewer in more. Good luck!

Thank you! As I consider you a master storyteller with your images, this means a lot to me. :D
  • kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    No help here as both are great. The idea of number 1 is original but I am a sucker for kitties :Drolleyes1.gif

This is why I rarely comment because I tend to love most images iloveyou.gif
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    I am torn between #1 and #2.

On #2, I think the color works well because the white of the cat pops more against the color background. I might crop just a smidge off top left and I'd experiment with a partial keystone correction. I'd shoot to straighten out the door frame, but leave the edge of the bookshelf somewhat canted inward.
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    I'm a sucker for cat photographs but I have to say that the original one imho better fits the theme. I like the way the colors work together...

Joe
    edited November 25, 2007
    kp-pix wrote:
    No help here as both are great. The idea of number 1 is original but I am a sucker for kitties :Drolleyes1.gif

This is why I rarely comment because I tend to love most images iloveyou.gif
    Hee! Thanks for breaking the silence to share your opnion. :D Much appreciated.
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I am torn between #1 and #2.

On #2, I think the color works well because the white of the cat pops more against the color background. I might crop just a smidge off top left and I'd experiment with a partial keystone correction. I'd shoot to straighten out the door frame, but leave the edge of the bookshelf somewhat canted inward.
    Welcome to my world of confusion! I shot so many ideas for this round, which is very unlike me.

I did go with the color version eventually because it just seemed warmer and happier to me somehow--I didnt even think of the cat "popping" more. I did take your suggestions on the keystone correction and crop, which helped a bunch. Thank you! thumb.gif

225368110-M.jpg
    imax wrote:
    I'm a sucker for cat photographs but I have to say that the original one imho better fits the theme. I like the way the colors work together...
    Thanks, Joe. :D I love complementary color pairings as well (and am still very fond of the tree photo), but after looking through the entire entry thread again, I notice there are several trees+leading line photos. There are fewer "story" photos. Hence I'm currently leaning toward the kitty in color (and have switched my entry).

...I wouldn't be surprised if I change my mind hourly up until the deadline tonight. rolleyes1.gif