Options

Ice Climbing Caribou Creek, Alaska 11/23/07

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited November 29, 2007 in Journeys
Well I finally got out on some ice and it was on the Ol' Bday so it was a pretty great mornin! Chugach Jed and I left town early in the morning and headed out to Caribou Creek where we had heard there was some ice. We rapped into the climb I think its called Kids in the Corner? and we rapped down three pitches. We would later hear there were actually 6....Doh! Oh well we did some laps on the lower portion and climbed the next few sections which were pretty thin, one section included a shower. Great Day! :)

Jed flakes the rope for the first rappel
224927402-L.jpg

Jed Rapping down pitch 1.
224928603-L.jpg

Coming down Pitch 2. This was the section with thin ice higher up. Easy enough to go around it though. :)
224929739-L.jpg

And the last little portion we rapped down. We would have kept going if we knew there was more to the route! Doh! :) Next time. ;)
224936540-L.jpg

Jed contemplates the little portion.
224938720-L.jpg

Coming over the first buldge
224950107-L.jpg

Jed deciding the direction (he chose the right way...I chose the harder / wrong way!)
224954022-L.jpg

Swinging away
224959254-L.jpg

This was the hardest part of the climb for me. I peeled back a bit and almost fell.
224960977-L.jpg

Okay on the way back we decided we had enough light to check out this Snotsickle talked about on Pinochle road. Well I gotta admit we looked all over and drove up both directions of this road and didn't see anything! We did see this ice section on the mountain across the valley though and wondered if it was any good. It was the only ice we could see around! (Upper left gully)
224996773-L.jpg

We were also both curious about this mountain. Its directly above Pinochle road and has a neat summit section to it.
224998366-L.jpg

All and all it was a great birthday when you get to climb and in good company!

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    Happy belated birthday, Kelsey!

Good to see you're still getting out and about. I can't decide if I think ice is more appealing or more dangerous to climb. I suppose it's just different. :D

Snotsickle? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Happy belated birthday, Kelsey!

Good to see you're still getting out and about. I can't decide if I think ice is more appealing or more dangerous to climb. I suppose it's just different. :D

Snotsickle? headscratch.gif

Thanks Schmoo! Its been tuff getting out with all the work and school. But I am super excited because I bought a one way ticket to Mexico hehe. I'll make my way back a few months after I go im sure but getting home is going to be interesting!! I leave Dec. 27th!

As far as climbing ice goes I find it easier for the most part and actually not as scary as climbing rock. Its great when its warm too!

Oh and a snotsickle is a piece of ice hanging down with the center not connected to the wall.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    :oogle

Of course my first thought is "Kelsey's nuts!" but it's closely followed by "Yay more awesome Journey fodder." :D

Mmm, well thank you for defining the term "snotsickle." Good timing as I've just come down with a bout of cold. lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    :oogle

Of course my first thought is "Kelsey's nuts!" but it's closely followed by "Yay more awesome Journey fodder." :D

Mmm, well thank you for defining the term "snotsickle." Good timing as I've just come down with a bout of cold. lol3.gif

You'll never look at a hanging ice sickle the same! ;)

I definitely plan on having my camera with me and if my trip is anywhere near as ambitious as I am them It'll be great. ;)

I'll be back for the Shootout though!
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Sweet shots Kelsey, I'm glad one of us is getting out. :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited November 29, 2007
    Brrrrrr....nic...nice shots!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?