Options

Lightroom "Versions"

KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
edited November 24, 2007 in Finishing School
I got sucked into Aperture early on, but am now trying out Lightroom and think I like it better and will soon commit to it. I am puzzling over one aspect of it though, and would appreciate it if someone could either enlighten me or point me to a resource* (I have searched everywhere for an answer to this):

Both programs use non-destructive editing. However, in Aperture it's simple to do a bunch of edits to a master image, and then either (1) "freeze" the version at that stage, make a new version from the master and try out a whole different approach, or (2) create a new version from the version and take things further. I imagine that the LR "snapshot" feature is roughly the equivalent of (2); is there a (1) equivalent?

*On the subject of resources, they are in abundance for LR, but none that I have encountered are interactive, all-LR-all-the-time forums. If such a thing exists I'd be grateful for a link.

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    In Lightroom you can create:
    1) a "snapshot" which is a state taken from and stored alongside the History undo stack, much like History snapshots in Photoshop, and stays part of the master.
    2) a "virtual copy" which is a separate version of the master that now has its own History stack independent of the master. It appears as a separate image when viewed in a catalog, but takes up almost no disk space.

As far as Lightroom-only resources, you have the Lightroom forum at adobeforums.com, and lightroomforums.net.
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    In Lightroom you can create:
    1) a "snapshot" which is a state taken from and stored alongside the History undo stack, much like History snapshots in Photoshop, and stays part of the master.
    2) a "virtual copy" which is a separate version of the master that now has its own History stack independent of the master. It appears as a separate image when viewed in a catalog, but takes up almost no disk space.

As far as Lightroom-only resources, you have the Lightroom forum at adobeforums.com, and lightroomforums.net.
    Asked and answered -- thank you sir.