Options

Getty Villa, Malibu California

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited November 26, 2007 in Journeys
A buddy and I made it out there after Thanksgiving to Friday to improve our gallery. I wasn't very happy with mine so I thought it needed some updates. Found the old shots lacking in contrast and made have over done it a touch this time, but oh well. Live and learn I guess.

Getty Villa is actually a reproduction of a Roman Villa in Malibu California. It was a home to a filthy rich oil tycoon, J. Paul Getty. After he died, it was converted into a museum where it houses his Greek and Roman art collection.

The gallery has opening and detail shots but these are just the new ones I took yesterday so it may seem less organized.

1. A little Statue at the entrance, about a foot tall.
224985188-L.jpg

2. A lily.
224985922-L.jpg

3. Entrance to the outer peristyle over looking the beach.
224985720-L.jpg

4. Pool in the outer peristyle.
224985950-L.jpg

5. Walking along the outer peristyle.
224986198-L.jpg

6. Silenos (companion of Bacchus, Roman god of wine) Riding a Wineskin in the Herb Garden.
224986365-L.jpg

7. A leaf I found.
224986023-L.jpg

Whole gallery is here, c/c welcome.
http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/1245521/2/97475164#P-1-15

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    Beautiful photos....

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Very nice, Tom. I especially like the lily, the crossing shadows really give it some extra interest. #3 is classic, but I wish you would allow Large size images!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Very nice, Tom. I especially like the lily, the crossing shadows really give it some extra interest. #3 is classic, but I wish you would allow Large size images!

Hey thanks Chris. On my gallery page, you can get large sized shots.
    I'll update it here just for you. :)

BTW, any plans for more shooting at Disneyland? I'm eager again since it's decorated and I just ordered a kit lens as I hear the latest IS version is super sharp with a 4 stop IS for $179.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Shot number five is stunning. The shadows of the columns, the perspective in the ceiling fading to unsharp, I kept looking at that one.
    Very nice light too... A winner!
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2007
    photocat wrote:
    Shot number five is stunning. The shadows of the columns, the perspective in the ceiling fading to unsharp, I kept looking at that one.
    Very nice light too... A winner!

Hey thanks, that's with a lensbaby. Since I don't use it much I'm trying to put my lensbaby 2.0 to work.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Tee Why wrote:
    Hey thanks Chris. On my gallery page, you can get large sized shots.
    I'll update it here just for you. :)

BTW, any plans for more shooting at Disneyland? I'm eager again since it's decorated and I just ordered a kit lens as I hear the latest IS version is super sharp with a 4 stop IS for $179.
    Are you sure? All I get are Small and Medium options when I look at your site. Ahh, the Getty Villa gallery has larges on, but most of the others I only get smaller sizes. I usually notice it when I'm looking at shots you post on LA Shooters.

I'm blacked out on the weekends at Disneyland until after the new year, now. :cry My family actually went on Thanksgiving so we could see the decorations.

I'll be interested to see how you like the new lens.
    Chris