Immigration Reform

NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited November 26, 2007 in People
Hi Folks:

Working these shots from a while back. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, the girl shot is an example of poor composition, but it was an in the midst of the rally type of shot. Just trying to tell some of the story of that day.

224918188-L.jpg

224918316-L.jpg

EXIF: Nikon D70, ISO 200, f/7.1, 1/200, 70mm, handheld (18-70mm)

gassho,

N
Under Construction SmugMug Site
Exposure Latitude(s).com
"The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    Your photos say something to a touchy subject for some. I like how you colored the flags in the first photo.

Dogdots/Mary
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    Thanks Mary! The pics can certainly awaken all sorts of feelings. I hope that doesn't mean folks won't comment. rolleyes1.gif So far, my last three posts have gone pretty unnoticed! ne_nau.gif

Well, it's all a fun process,

Thanks again,

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    I agree with Mary on the coloring of the flags in the first photo. It makes them stand out.
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    The second photograph works for me, the first one is a bit underexposed. If brightened up a bit it would be nice too.
    Well done. I always like to see social journalism photography... We can change a little in our world if we pay attention to what is happening around us...
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Let's make sure we keep this discussion about photography, not politics. Express your views on the images and the story they tell, not the larger issue of immigration. Thanks! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Thanks all for the comments so far. It took me a while to decide what to do with the first picture. I'll see if I can fix the underexposure of that one. I first had the flags in BW, then kept them in bright color, and then opted for leaching the color out by desaturating them -- that seemed to go best with the rest of the image being grayish. I was taken by how the girl was holding the flags, and how they seemed to be coming out of her hands -- slipping her grasp if you will.

Regarding the second shot, I was taken by the look on these folks faces, certainly by the indigenous look of the women, and the bags and other clutter behind them. That look was not very different from some of the indigenous folks living in the streets that I saw in Mexico City many years ago, and the bag and other stuff gave a feeling of homelessness that I wanted to capture.

Again, thanks for the thoughts,

N
    Under Construction: http://ncordova.smugmug.com/
    Exposure Latitude(s).com