young viola player

JaravissJaraviss Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
edited November 25, 2007 in People
img6808sj9.jpg

selective focus.
i kept trying to creep around so that his bowing hand wouldn't hide his mouth/face.

but was having probs. (using a macro lens) and when i scooted to the side...it was a wider angle and couldn't fit him all in.

so i said...ok lets focus on the fretting hand and see what happens?

your thoughts?

-G
equipment:
canon rebel XTi
18-55mm lens
60mm macro lens
75-300mm telephoto lens
canon speelite 580 EXII

Comments

• gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    I really like this shot! I think it works well. I like the highlights on the violin, I like how the boy's face is cropped, and I like the spots of green in the background - I don't know where he is exactly, but it feels like he's playing out on a field somewhere. I like the focus being on the hand - and with the boy's eye also looking at his hand, it's like the viewer and the boy both are focussing on the same thing... I think that's why it works so well for me. Great stuff.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • JaravissJaraviss Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    gregneil wrote:
    I really like this shot! I think it works well. I like the highlights on the violin, I like how the boy's face is cropped, and I like the spots of green in the background - I don't know where he is exactly, but it feels like he's playing out on a field somewhere. I like the focus being on the hand - and with the boy's eye also looking at his hand, it's like the viewer and the boy both are focussing on the same thing... I think that's why it works so well for me. Great stuff.

aww man.
    thakn you very much for not only looking at it..but taking the time to put a few comments down.
    it really helps me out (as a beginner "photographer"...i still feel weird about using that title... "photographer"....don't feel i deserve it yet) hehe.

anyway....the fact that you noticed where he if focusing matching up with where the camera is focusing is really cool. thanks again!!!!

thumb.gif

-G
    equipment:
    canon rebel XTi
    18-55mm lens
    60mm macro lens
    75-300mm telephoto lens
    canon speelite 580 EXII
  • susanbudgesusanbudge Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    I really like this shot. I think you've hit it spot on with the focusing.

I too thought it looks as if it has been taken out on a field and the patch of blown out sky top right is a little distracting . From your description I know it was probably difficult, but if you could get him into position to avoid this it would have improved it even more.

You may also want to consider the overall colour which appears to me to be just a little too red. The boy seems to have a naturally dark skin but he seems more red than brown. May just be my senior eyes :D

It is a lovely shot though and I'd be pleased with it if I were you. Did you take any more?

Susan
    edited November 25, 2007
    thank you
    yeah..he's half native american and half philipino.
    so his skin is darker.
    i've had a hard time editing them in the canon software (for color)
    i've shot raw...adn in that software theres sooo many tweaks a person can do...
    adjusting the rgb values as a whole..or individually.
    plus the saturation, etc.

i need to get a color calibration thingy for my monitor.

and the major hurdle (not an excuse) is my laptop..depending on the angle i'm looking at...things can look really different Laughing.gif

here are some more from today.

img6802sp0.jpg
    it was chilly...but i asked if he could take his shoes off.
    Laughing.gif that was mean of me...but i think it's kinda "cool" (pun not intended)

img6826cy5.jpg
    selective coloring on the Viola

i still think the first one is my favorite.

thanks again for the comments...it really is encouraging to a beginner such as myself!!!

-G
    equipment:
    canon rebel XTi
    18-55mm lens
    60mm macro lens
    75-300mm telephoto lens
    canon speelite 580 EXII
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    Jaraviss wrote:

selective focus.
    i kept trying to creep around so that his bowing hand wouldn't hide his mouth/face.

but was having probs. (using a macro lens) and when i scooted to the side...it was a wider angle and couldn't fit him all in.

so i said...ok lets focus on the fretting hand and see what happens?

your thoughts?

-G

Nicely done Jaraviss, I also like the ones you added later in this same post, with your selective colouring of the Viola.
    Well done! clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited November 25, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Nicely done Jaraviss, I also like the ones you added later in this same post, with your selective colouring of the Viola.
    Well done! clap.gif .... Skippy :D

hey...i really appreciate it!
    thanks for the kind words.

keeps me enthused about shooting.

not that i'm losing enthusiasm...i *love* photography now.

it's been a quick learning experience...which i'm sure will continue on for years.
    so much to learn...but its a fun trip!

thanks again!

-G
    equipment:
    canon rebel XTi
    18-55mm lens
    60mm macro lens
    75-300mm telephoto lens
    canon speelite 580 EXII
  • susanbudgesusanbudge Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    You were mean making him take his shoes off, but it was worth it! :D I really like that shot and the way the columns recede into the distance.
    Was he really playing his instrument or posing? The reason I ask is the direction of his gaze, especially in the last one.
    Very well done.
    Susan
    edited November 25, 2007
    susanbudge wrote:
    You were mean making him take his shoes off, but it was worth it! :D I really like that shot and the way the columns recede into the distance.
    Was he really playing his instrument or posing? The reason I ask is the direction of his gaze, especially in the last one.
    Very well done.
    Susan

mixture.....i just asked him to play and ignore me..and that was fine..
    but when i was trying to frame a shot...he would stop and look around.
    he's quite the card...it was so hard to get a "serious" or "nonchalant" look from him....there are a ton of other pics with him crossing his eyes or sticking out his tongue or something crazy.

i swear....anytime that boy sees a camera he turns into Goofy McGooferson.

hehe

thanks again!

(i like the no shoes also) hehe

-G
    equipment:
    canon rebel XTi
    18-55mm lens
    60mm macro lens
    75-300mm telephoto lens
    canon speelite 580 EXII