Options

Colorful India

ottsworldottsworld Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited November 26, 2007 in Journeys
I spent 4 weeks volunteering in Delhi this summer - an experience of a lifetime, and a photographers dream. Here are a few of the colorful shots.

India is not afraid of color – it embraces color. The sari’s are bright purple, orange, yellow, pink, blue, or green. The dupatees are colorful and normally adorned with some sort of shimery sequins. Wrists, arms, ankles, toes, and noses are adorned with blingy bangels and rings. You don’t see women wearing black, grey, or navy blue…ever. Even the men dress in colorful patterned shirts. I personally think that in a land of 1.2 billion people, everyone is trying to find their way to stick out from the crowd…and that’s where the color comes in. There’s nothing more beautiful than seeing a group of women in India, dressed in the colors of the rainbow walking together…it makes the place feel alive. The woman riding side saddle on the back of a motor scooter…her colorful sari blowing in the wind, brings a smile across my face. You feel like you’ve just entered the inside of a rainbow – and everyone is searching for the pot of gold.

196296625-M.jpg

196262681-M.jpg

196296528-M.jpg

196295793-M.jpg

196243489-M.jpg

If you want practice with candid travel photography - go to India, everyone LOVES having their picture taken. They rarely smile at the camera - and instead provide you with a penetrating stare which makes for some great shots.

196246908-M.jpg

196252126-M.jpg

196261813-M.jpg

196261771-M.jpg
I've actually been traveling around the world for the last 15 months, and I'd love to get some feedback on my photography as I consider what to do with my thousands of photos and experiences and how to continue this lifestyle but make some money!
www.sherryott.smugmug.com
To see and read more about any of my travels - you can check out www.ottsworld.com.

Comments

• Options
    pantherlaxpantherlax Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    Incredible shots. You can tell that each photo has a story behind it and you get to see a piece of the culture and life there. I love the first and last one the most.

I noticed that in the two photos of the women, one holding the baby and the one before that, they colored their scalp part red where the hair seperates. I wonder what it is?
  • Options
    ottsworldottsworld Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    pantherlax wrote:
    Incredible shots. You can tell that each photo has a story behind it and you get to see a piece of the culture and life there. I love the first and last one the most.

I noticed that in the two photos of the women, one holding the baby and the one before that, they colored their scalp part red where the hair seperates. I wonder what it is?

Thanks! There are certainly many stories to tell in India. As for the red marking on their scalp part - it signifies that they are married.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    India looks like a photographer's dream with such a riot of colors! Great series of shots, I like seeing the movement in the shots of the dancers and a couple of the others as well. Brings life to the shots! thumb.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    Sherry, your words are as beautiful as the colors in your photos. I have never been to India but the sheer size of the population and the culture difference have both lured and intimidated me. I love what you've brought here, even if it's just a tiny taste from your extensive travels. thumb.gif

You have an impressive website as well and I'm looking forward to reading through it in the coming days.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    The lighting and the slow shutter speed, which adds a sense of motion, are really nice on the second shot.