Big pots & pans in Norway

alexLalexL Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited December 7, 2007 in Landscapes
Hi all
I just published a small gallery of some pictures I took in southern Norway this summer. These are rock formation eroded by the water and called 'jettegryter' or 'big pots/pans). Have look, C&C welcome.
225215659-L.jpg

225215627-L.jpg225215713-L.jpg

More one the gallery:http://alexl.smugmug.com/gallery/3885215#225215995
/Alex

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Hi Alex, very curious formations! Are they called "pots" because they end up holding a decent amount of water? The boy looks like he's having fun, although I bet if you land wrong... ouch :D

The first photo is lovely and abstract. I have a soft spot for photos that utilize reflections. thumb.gif
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Really love the reflections of the sky as it blends with the submerged red rocks - them's colors you don't find in nature very often.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • PwFPwF Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    225215659-L.jpg
    Great subject!
    I would do some work on the top left corner though. That rock area is a bit too bright, so if you burn it in it will not distract from the rest of what is a great shot. Bright areas should never be up close to an edge as that draws your attention off the image. Burn it in and you will see how much better the main part of this shot looks. In fact all of the brighter edges could use a bit of burning in as well.

225215627-L.jpg

This may be a bit picky but to me there seems to be a bit too much rock at the bottom. I'd crop it up to above your copyright line. Haflway between the top of the © symbol and the bark wet spot on the rock. About the thickness of the © itself, or to where the rock would then come out the bottom edge about 1/3rd the way in from the left. Again, it's picky, but whenever I look at an image I first see what is best about it, and then I look to see if there is anything I could do to make it even better. Not all, but in many cases something going out the very corner of an image is not the best composition to use.

This sure looks like a great place to shoot. I could spend a whole week in places like that. (Maybe I should pay a visit to my old fiance in Oslo)
    B SUM 1
  • z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Great place and shots too thumb.gif

Face of the boy tells the rest - water temp exactly 35F wings.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • alexLalexL Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Thanks for the comments.
    TylerW the rock is reddish due to the algi in the water
    PwF thanks especially for the constructive comments. I'll try to burn a litt on the highlights. But I like the rock in the foreground on the second one to end in the left hand corner. Matter of taste I guess.
    z_28 yeah is was cold but not that cold,air temp was about 15C=59F the water was about 10C=50F
    /Alex
  • alexLalexL Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Hei
    I fixed the first one a bit. Did some burning (maybe it should be even more) and while doing that I saw some power lines reflected in the water (left in the cliud reflection), so had to remove that
    227378182-L.jpg
    /Alex
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    REALLY COOL PHOTOSthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Good Stuff!! I would love a day at this location. Kinda reminds me of the slick rock cayons in Arizona. Nice work.
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    What cool place. Rocks smooth enough to use as a waterslide. Thanks for sharing these. thumb.gif
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    I find stone hard to photograph, granite a bit reflective, and personally, my camera evaluates off of it (noobie here and don't know the dynamics), and blows it out a bit. You've done a nice job, and I would love to slide down that..errr...slide?
    Growing with Dgrin