Would this picture be considered exploitive or too depressing?

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited November 26, 2007 in People
Here:

http://www.paintbypixels.com/gallery/3850304#225168308-L-LB

This picture is of 20 year old girl who died last May in the city after being hit on her bike. It is very depressing when I think about it...however the picture is so haunting and powerful it is one of my favorites. I have it on my site, but I don't want to seem like I'm exploiting what happened. (I would not make it available for sale.)

What do you folks think?
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    Powerful. Haunting. 15524779-Ti.gif

This is an image worth sharing.

An idea: Contact the parents/family of the young lady. Suggest to them that you would like to offer the photo for sale, with profits going to the young lady's favorite charity, in her name. Just a thought.
  • net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    Powerful. Haunting. 15524779-Ti.gif

This is an image worth sharing.

An idea: Contact the parents/family of the young lady. Suggest to them that you would like to offer the photo for sale, with profits going to the young lady's favorite charity, in her name. Just a thought.

There are several articles in the Boston media about her and what happened. Would it be too much if I linked one of the articles along with this picture? Would it add or detract from the picture....?

And I will think about contacting the family.....

• OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    Evoking some kind of emotion makes a photograph special. Don't feel guilty about capturing a moment and making it into something.
  • Scotty_RScotty_R Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    I don't find it exploitive at all. The image speaks for itself, without any explanation, and it is a good image.
    Scotty
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    net1994 wrote:
    There are several articles in the Boston media about her and what happened. Would it be too much if I linked one of the articles along with this picture? Would it add or detract from the picture....?

And I will think about contacting the family.....
    I use a general rule of thumb when writing a post - would I mind it if someone else did it? Then I think twice about it. In this case, I think people would be interested in "The Rest of the Story".

And, like Scotty_R said, this image is not exploitative at all...
  • net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    I use a general rule of thumb when writing a post - would I mind it if someone else did it? Then I think twice about it. In this case, I think people would be interested in "The Rest of the Story".

And, like Scotty_R said, this image is not exploitative at all...

Anyone else have a opinion?

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    net1994 wrote:
    Anyone else have a opinion?

Seems fine to me. Looks like a photo of a memorial for this girl... I see that kind of thing in my local newspaper all the time.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• steelephotography.comsteelephotography.com Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Great image....
    It is obviously an image of a memorial. Your image further memorializes her. Beautiful and thought provoking.

DS
  • tnoisawtnoisaw Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    You're honoring her. What can be better than that?