Options

Hot Air Ballooning in Virginia

eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited December 5, 2007 in Journeys
We recently went hot air ballooning in Charlottesville, Virginia.

223298689-M-1.jpg

It was a participatory experience, with the passengers serving as ground crew.

223278651-M.jpg

As the envelope was being inflated with cool air, we took turns going inside for a photo-op.

223303476-M-2.jpg

You definitely don't want to be inside the envelope once they start to heat the cool air inside it.

223307861-M.jpg

After we lifted off, a member of the balloon company captured this photo.

223346404-M.jpg

As we floated over Charlottesville neighborhoods, our pilot commented that they had been unable
to fly for a week due to high winds and that we were seeing the best of this year's foliage colors.

There were only two other balloons flying in our airspace.

224296145-M.jpg

Thumbs up for a great hot air ballooning adventure.

Actually, this photo op has an ulterior motive - we're all sitting on the bag into which the canopy has been packed
so that our combined weight will compress it before it is tied down to the trailer for transport.

225269064-M-1.jpg

I have a lot more photographs from our adventure - both from what goes into preparing to fly and scenery from the air.
If you're interested, you're welcome to browse my gallery at:

http://eenusa.smugmug.com/gallery/3855870/1/223216624

Comments

• Options
    D_C_NCD_C_NC Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    You look like you definately enjoyed the adventure. Photo documentation is great. It is so cool is it not as the lack of sound makes the earth seem as it is moving rather than you. I use to go Balloning a lot when I was younger in the Love Valley area of NC. Thanks for sharing....
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2007
    Thanks for looking at my journey.

Yes; the sensation of floating through the calm sky is quite the experience. No sound except the occasional whoosh as the burners warm the air inside the envelope and the earth below stretching all the way to the horizon. Very serene.

I did my first ballooning experience in Turkey's Capadoccia region in October of this year (photos being processed, but will be a while before they are online). Now, with this ballooning experience in Virginia, I'm completely hooked.
  • Options
    indulgentsoulindulgentsoul Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Hi eenusa...

some brillaint photos in there clap.gif.......how did u manage to get ur friend Jack standing at the right spot while you were up in the ballon ?
    looking at ur snaps i feel like going balloning myself.........sounds exciting.

Regards
    Nick
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2007
    Hi eenusa...

some brillaint photos in there clap.gif.......how did u manage to get ur friend Jack standing at the right spot while you were up in the ballon ?
    looking at ur snaps i feel like going balloning myself.........sounds exciting.

Regards
    Nick

Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Jack works for Behr Balloons, the company we went ballooning with. Since the balloon goes where the wind sends it, someone has to follow the balloon to the eventual landing site. He was that person (he and our pilot were in contact via radio). Along the way, he apparently stopped to take photos of us.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    eenusa wrote:
    We recently went hot air ballooning in Charlottesville, Virginia.

It was a participatory experience, with the passengers serving as ground crew.
    As the envelope was being inflated with cool air, we took turns going inside for a photo-op.
    You definitely don't want to be inside the envelope once they start to heat the cool air inside it.
    After we lifted off, a member of the balloon company captured this photo.
    As we floated over Charlottesville neighborhoods, our pilot commented that they had been unable
    to fly for a week due to high winds and that we were seeing the best of this year's foliage colors.
    There were only two other balloons flying in our airspace.
    Thumbs up for a great hot air ballooning adventure.
    Actually, this photo op has an ulterior motive - we're all sitting on the bag into which the canopy has been packed
    so that our combined weight will compress it before it is tied down to the trailer for transport.
    I have a lot more photographs from our adventure - both from what goes into preparing to fly and scenery from the air.
    If you're interested, you're welcome to browse my gallery at:

http://eenusa.smugmug.com/gallery/3855870/1/223216624

Hi Eenusa,
    Hotair Ballooning is an awesome experience.
    I have done it only once in not exactly ideal weather conditions.

The scariest part for us was the landing, it was really really rough.
    Not unlike being in a car accident I tell you.
    We hit the ground hard and fast and did one of those bounce drag stops, where you hit the ground about 7 times before and get dragged along the ground before the balloon comes to a halt.

We were not expecting that, cause most times you see those almost perfect landings where the balloon comes down and the people just step out nod.gif

Isn't it a wonderful feeling being in the sky, almost no sound at all,
    except for the occassional burst of gas being blown into the balloon.

The view from up there is amazing, you can see a whole 360deg.

The beautiful Spring Foliage you guys saw would have been so beautiful.
    I would have loved to have seen what you saw clap.gif

Thanks for sharing your great adventure thumb.gif
    Great series of photos ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Isn't Hot Air Ballooning fun :D!!! We did it on our honeymoon in Sedona, AZ. Looks like you had some great company and great scenery.

thanks for sharing. enjoyed!!!
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    Isn't Hot Air Ballooning fun :D!!! We did it on our honeymoon in Sedona, AZ. Looks like you had some great company and great scenery.

thanks for sharing. enjoyed!!!

Nicole, we spent a week in Sedona in December 2002 - didn't do the ballooning though, so I guess that's one more reason to go back.