Options

Hyperfocal Distance

chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
edited November 25, 2007 in Technique
OK ... I think I grasp basic concept of hyperfocal distance and I think I've figured out how to calculate it at dofmaster.com. They make it pretty easy.

Here's my kicker: My Oympus C-765 has a range of 6.3 - 63 mm actual and 38-380 mm in 35 mm equivalent. I like to shoot surfers which requires a longer range so I have a 1.7x teleconverter lens which brings me to 10.71 - 107.1 mm actual and 64.6 - 646mm in 35 mm equivalent (I think).

Since surfers are a moving target, usually moving towards the camera, I want to find the hyperfocal distance where the surfer will be in sharp focus no matter how far away he is at the moment the shutter snaps.

Depending on the tide and general surf conditions, a surfer might be anywhere from 100 to 400' from the camera.

Since the teleconverter does not change the focal distance between the shutter and sensor, does it need to factored in to the hyperfocal distance calculations, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chuck Cannova
http://chuckinsocal.smugmug.com
Chuck Cannova
www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited November 25, 2007
    It is my understanding that most teleconverters (fore or aft) affect both the focal length and the effective aperture, rendering a neutral effect on the depth-of-field. In other words, I believe you can safely use the calculations you would use without the teleconverter in place.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums