Inappropriate comments concerning children's photos

jkhassonjkhasson Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited November 25, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Fellow SmugMuggers,

I've recently been the unfortunate recipient of mildly suggestive comments about photos of my daughters posted on SmugMug. I'm fully aware of the risks involved when posting photos of family and friends on the internet, but until the comments included my children, I was naively content in my open posting habit. Now, I'm not. Needless to say, I was shocked, then angry, then very concerned. Talk about wanting to give someone something to think about! :beatwax

Has anyone else been subjected to these comments on SmugMug? If so, how did you deal with it? I've password protected all my galleries that include photos of family and friends, but some of my best photos that I'd like the "world" to see are included in these same galleries.

I'm thinking of a top line category list of "public" and "private" galleries, with each having sub-categories of "travel", etc. This will greatly increase the number of photos I have uploaded at SmugMug, but with the unlimited storage, that is not a big deal.

Anyway, any suggestions you all have would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 25, 2007
    G'day jkhasson,

You can enable "comment approval" so that comments don't automatically show up until you approve them.

Go to your Control Panel->Stats->Comments, then check the "Require Comment Approval" option.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • jkhassonjkhasson Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    You can enable "comment approval" so that comments don't automatically show up until you approve them.

That's a great idea for comments. I do the same on my blog.

However, I think my greatest concern is that the folks I don't want looking at my children's photos are gaining access to them at will and then getting some kind of sick satisfaction out of it.

Thanks for the quick posting!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    jkhasson wrote:
    That's a great idea for comments. I do the same on my blog.

However, I think my greatest concern is that the folks I don't want looking at my children's photos are gaining access to them at will and then getting some kind of sick satisfaction out of it.

Thanks for the quick posting!
    Precisely the reason why we built SmugIslands. Now you can have total control over who sees what on your site.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/private-search-island