Why does my flash exposure compensation keep showing -2?

PicGirlPicGirl Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited November 26, 2007 in Cameras
I'm new to this whole lighting thing, but I have a main and a fill light, and every time I press the shutter half way it shows as -2 on the camera. I have the exposure compensations set to zero...I even went to the default settings of the camera and nothing changed. It shows as 0 until I press the shutter button. I have a Canon 5D. My pictures are coming out okay, but I can't figure out why this is. :dunno

Comments

• Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    That is because if you were to take the pic without the strobes your pic would be under exposed by 2 stops, hence the minus 2. IF it is blinking then it will be underexposed by more than 2 stops.

The camera will use this info to send to the strobes letting them know roughly how much power to put out, if your using the light in auto.

Basically the minus 2 reading is the camera light meter letting you know what is going on.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • PicGirlPicGirl Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!:D