Options

Dreaded Error 99

indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited November 28, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
My camera is not working properly and no easy fixes seem to be working. I'm getting the dreaded Error 99 from my Canon :(

I'm out this round, maybe next round I'll be able to play. Good luck, gang!

Jesse

Comments

• Options
    menebomenebo Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    I had a friend who had that happen too. My friend had been shooting at a fair when she put her camera down in front of some loud speakers. Canon told her that this is a common problem. She had to send her camera away to get it fixed but she has since gotten it back in fine shape.

Good Luck!

Michelle
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 26, 2007
    menebo wrote:
    I had a friend who had that happen too. My friend had been shooting at a fair when she put her camera down in front of some loud speakers. Canon told her that this is a common problem. She had to send her camera away to get it fixed but she has since gotten it back in fine shape.
    big magnets and electronics generally aren't a good idea. glad to hear Canon was able to fix things up. thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    My camera is not working properly and no easy fixes seem to be working. I'm getting the dreaded Error 99 from my Canon :(

Jesse
    Sorry about this! :cry
    Things to try:
    • Battery/Card in/out
    • Detach/attach lens
    • Reset button (pinhole)
    Good luck! iloveyou.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2007
    I have not tried the reset button! What hope! I'll find it and try it tomorrow. Thanks!

Jesse
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Originally Posted by menebo
    DoctorIt wrote:
    big magnets and electronics generally aren't a good idea. glad to hear Canon was able to fix things up. thumb.gif

I had that happen a while ago too - only I was just walking in front of some (very large) speakers. Turned out it just fried my CF card; camera was not affected at all (thank goodness!)

C.

PS - good luck w/ the fix IndieGirl
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 26, 2007
    By the way, Jesse, if you're looking for help with the camera, you'll get a lot more good suggestions from the gear nerds over in the cameras forum. deal.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Eeek. If it's the 40D, I just read on some forum someone else's was loving that 99 number too.

If not or at any rate, hope it all gets fixed soon so you can come kick some serious lps butt!
  • Options
    Bill_MBill_M Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:

Jesse

Have you updated the Firmware in the camera? I used to get this error with my 20D, then I updated the Firmware & knock on wood, it's been about a year since my last Err99.

Good luck...
    Bill
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2007
    Nada--zippo--zilch. I've tried everything I've read about online and in my manual. It's not even letting me take a picture now. I've exhausted my resources, so "No Pictures For You!" for awhile (she says in her best Seinfeld voice).

Jesse
  • Options
    BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Hard Hardware
    indiegirl wrote:

Jesse

Jesse,

Sorry to hear about the 99...

Although a Nikon shooter, a campout on the Green River's White Rim Trail put condensation both in the tent near freezing and on the lens splines which go into my Nikon.

An eraser cleaned the lens, the camera recepticals, and made it good as new...
    Sorta nice since the D300's are just coming out and are big dollars!
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]