lps17 - what a theme!

kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited November 26, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Easy peasy! All I need is NO makeup for decay :thumb:thwak Difficult one in reality. Artsy :yikes

Good luck all :D

Comments

• TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Thinking caps: On!

can't wait to see what folks come up with for this one!
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Interesting time of year....
    For growth....should be fun.

Jon
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    kp-pix,
    i dont have much time to research, and i see you like B&W
    so may i ask a qwik question?
    first a fast background...ive never done anything with b&w inmind. and i already know what im gonna shoot for lps17, and i want to do it b&w.

question, is the b&w pre-set on my d200 good to use?, or should i use normal and transfer the pic to b&w.?
    ive read b&w is hard to do right with good texture, so i thought you could point me in a good direction....

thanks, aaron
    Aaron Nelson
  • HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    I am not kp-pix
    but I would never shoot anything in camera as b+w only....because you can't get the color back if you wanted to. Shoot RAW then use your favorite post processing software to convert to b&w..that way you have both right????

Jon
    edited November 26, 2007
    thanks for that, aside from that point about color.. im really just wondering if the pre set b&w setting has a different way it picks-up the image or something technical...maybe i better start a new thread instead of chaging this threads subject...
    or if anyone has a link send it my way via e-mail...thanks again
    Aaron Nelson
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    thanks for that, aside from that point about color.. im really just wondering if the pre set b&w setting has a diffrent way it picks-up the image or something technical...maybe i better start a new thread instead of chaging this threads subject...
    or is anyone has a link send it my way via e-mail...thanks again

Long story short of it, any camera that can shoot raw will pick up everything that it also picks up with shooting via a black & white preset. Its just up to you to edit and interpret it down to the final black & white image.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Hi Aaaron,

I agree with everything said above for sure, as you can really fiddle with the depths of tones with the raw file. I have the D80 and can use the b&w/sepia feature to get a rough idea on how the composition will brush up in b&w and that isn't a bad way to guage your shadows, but yes, definitely shoot in colour as it much easier to tweak till you get it the way you want it to be. Lightroom is my weapon of conversion usually, but I have been using PS more lately.

Good luck and keen to see your idea now clap.gif
  • fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    thanks for that, aside from that point about color.. im really just wondering if the pre set b&w setting has a different way it picks-up the image or something technical...maybe i better start a new thread instead of chaging this threads subject...
    or if anyone has a link send it my way via e-mail...thanks again
    I listened to a podcast this past summer (cannot remember the photographer) It might have been Rick Sammon or ? Either way... they stated to shoot in RAW then change in PS or Lightroom, etc. It works the best for me...

I do not want to hijack this thread...

If you use Lightroom, there are a tremendous number of presets available that do wonderful work... you can PM if you need more suggestions.
    frank
    dr.Frank

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1
    We now need to not destroy it and capture its beauty for all to behold.

http://www.kendralla.com
    edited November 26, 2007
    thanks, pms coming soon....

back on topic...lps17
    is it me or does it seem the potenal for dual topic is high with lps17?
    everytime i think of something it is a dual topic...i.e. like a little tree growing through ruins (decay)...

btw, thats the subject im going out to shoot this weekend....its just a matter of a little travel....

btwII, i read that dual topics are discouraged, but i dont understand why for sure, i guess shay should show examples of what was considered a bad attempt...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 26, 2007
    Are they discouraged? I thought I read in one of the early ones, one or the other, or both if possible - maybe that changed the few that I missed from the beginning.

Bugger! Well bugger, still going with my idea anyway
    edited November 26, 2007
    well i guess i understand the point....i would like to see examples...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=56837
    Aaron Nelson
  • Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    B&w
    Hey Aaron, in a nutshell the problem I see with using the in-camera b&w processing is that it doesn't give you the flexibility of choosing which colors to process darker than others. for example, if a green and a blue are the same brightness in your color image, they will look the same in B&W--the camera will process them as the same shade. if, however, you do it in post, you can select to have the green or the blue darker than the other. Personally I don't like to have the camera make those decisions for me so I do it in PS. there's a ton of good information here on Dgrin about black and white conversion.

Good luck!

Izzy
    edited November 26, 2007
    hmmmm I don't think I have seen any that were a mix - sin or virtue had a few that could have been one or the other
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    btwII, i read that dual topics are discouraged, but i dont understand why for sure, i guess shay should show examples of what was considered a bad attempt...

To add my opinion, in Shay's style he is more likely to compliment a good example of dual themes than to knock down a bad use of one. In any event, if you think you've an image that's a really creative way to go at both sides of the theme, go for it.

As for the bw setting in your D200, once you take the image that way, you no longer have the ability to convert the tones based on the color channels that are present in a color capture. That's why everyone's suggesting it that way. Go over to Finishing School or Technique to learn more how to do it..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    I generally discourage dual theme attempts, especially for newcomers, simply because a single theme is so much easier to pull off. However, if you can pull off a dual theme, have at it. They can be deceptively difficult to create but spectacular to view if done masterfully :-)
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited November 26, 2007
    Nothing masterful about my idea rolleyes1.gifjust ambiguous mwink.gif if I enter it that is, still kicking this cold.

Thanks for the clarification!

Entered it! Not fussed. It was my immediate idea, the lighting was perfect for my original idea this morning, and a few hours later etc etc
    edited November 26, 2007
    thanks everyone for the help, and thanks to kp-pix for not yelling at me for all the off-topic.

Shay i brought it up for help, i really dont know do's - & dont's....
    i just was hoping someone could show me a good example of a bad attempt at a dual theme...im just not sure what to avoid.

btw, i just love this forum & members, and the whole sort...
    i will be here a long time...(even if i dont ever pull off a masterpiece, honestly i wouldnt even know it if i had...:D )
    also, i look forward to everyones help, and i really look forward to everyones opinions to whatever i share.

btwII, did i mention how cool everyone in this forum is?

Hoofclix, thanks, im getting it...i just wanted to make sure not to go about doing a B&W the wrong way....and its now more clear thanks to everyone that the pre-B&W is not the way to go...
    i just wanted to make sure the pre-B&W technically was not better at picking up the image to use as a B&W print or post...i think im explaining me-self lol headscratch.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 26, 2007
    I have a husband (to-be) for that yelling bit :D all good. Good luck this round!